DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Confused on field monitor specs? So am I. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/506397-confused-field-monitor-specs-so-am-i.html)

Tyge Floyd March 26th, 2012 10:41 AM

Confused on field monitor specs? So am I.

I'm the most technically advanced geek in the room at times but when it comes to field monitor specs I've got a lot of questions. Think you could help me understand specs a bit better? Thanks!

I'm looking at 5-7" field monitors. I will not use one everyday, as a matter of fact I would say I would use it less than 10% of the time I'm shooting. But, when I do use it, I will no doubt benefit from having another monitor to help see more detail and pull good focus. For the record and for my use, the monitor will be fed an HDMI signal from a Canon XF300 for the most part and XF100 at times.

Also, for the record, this is the monitor I'm considering to pair with my new cameras.
COOLLCD HD2 7 INCH HD LCD Field Monitor w/ HDMI in HDMI out Component in Composite in [COOLLCD HD2] - US$179.90 : COOLLCD.com

What I'm reading in monitor specs is HD capabilities such as 1920 x 1440 input signal but only 800 x 480 resolution.
In my mind I see that as the monitor being able to process an HD signal but it can only display it as 800 x 480, which may or may not be HD depending on who you talk to. I'm I following that correctly? If so, doesn't the image I would be looking at on my camera's LCD or EVF have more detail?

I hope my question is not as confusing as it seems. Thanks again.

Chris Hurd March 26th, 2012 11:08 AM

Re: Confused on field monitor specs? So am I.

Hi Tyge,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyge Floyd (Post 1723181)
In my mind I see that as the monitor being able to process an HD signal but it can only display it as 800 x 480, which may or may not be HD depending on who you talk to. I'm I following that correctly?

Yes, you are following that correctly. The ATSC defines any scan line count above 480 as "High Definition."

Quote:

If so, doesn't the image I would be looking at on my camera's LCD or EVF have more detail?

Yes, that's true... but the display itself is much smaller, of course!

Arnie Schlissel March 26th, 2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

I will not use one everyday, as a matter of fact I would say I would use it less than 10% of the time I'm shooting. But, when I do use it, I will no doubt benefit from having another monitor to help see more detail and pull good focus. For the record and for my use, the monitor will be fed an HDMI signal from a Canon XF300 for the most part and XF100 at times.

In which case, you may be better off just renting one when you need it. If that' the case, you can work out which is best for each particular shoot with the rental house.

Tyge Floyd March 26th, 2012 12:35 PM

Renting is not an option. I seldom work in towns or cities. To incorporate a monitor I'll have to own one.

Chris Medico March 26th, 2012 12:59 PM

The SmallHD monitor is 1280x800 and works very well as a field monitor. At 5.6" its in the range of what you are looking for.

Not to mention the customer service from those folks is top notch.

I'm an owner and a fan and in no way connect to them business wise.