DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Sweet and cheap wireless HDMI (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/507855-sweet-cheap-wireless-hdmi.html)

Andrew Dean May 17th, 2012 05:27 AM

Sweet and cheap wireless HDMI

I took a risk and bought a noname wireless hdmi transmitter/receiver. It works amazingly well, is small enough to rig and it turns out I can power it from the usb output of my smallhd dp6 monitor!

I wrote a long, wordy blog post about it here if anyone is curious.

RigJob: The dusty broom closet of indy film production.: wireless hdmi and dp6

Chip Gallo May 17th, 2012 07:54 AM

Re: Sweet and cheap wireless HDMI

I'll have to compare the specs on yours with this, at $299:

Features - LiveShell Dashboard

Andrew Dean May 17th, 2012 12:31 PM

Those are quite different from each other. The mywireless is a short hop uncompressed (or potentially compressed but lagless) hdmi transmitter and receiver. It goes across the room in full quality. The liveshell is designed to stream to the web/network at (i assume) compressed data rates.

Cool device though. Thanks for sharing.

Chris Soucy May 17th, 2012 10:57 PM

Hi, Andrew.............

Interesting and informative blog write up, you did well.

Your point about something like that costing more to ship than it costs to buy is very relevant.

I've come to exactly the same point myself, if it isn't more than $$$$$ then it simply isn't worth it.

BTW, as a complete aside, how's the Vb5 working out?

I'm reminded about it as I'm looking at it's boots sitting in my "In Tray" as I type. Whoops.

CS

Andrew Dean May 17th, 2012 11:28 PM

Heya Chris.

Aha! so the VB5 DOES come with boots. I thought that was a very odd omission and something I started to comment on.

I can't get anything to balance on it. I'm either well under or well over weight on every shoot. I'm not willing to bag on it for that, but it makes it really hard to assess how well it performs.

Blogs are obsolete and uncool... so it seemed time to make one. ha!

Chris Soucy May 18th, 2012 12:32 AM

Yeah, I really do appologise for that,

I cannot for the life of me imagine how I missed them, although as a weak case in my defense, also populating my "In Tray" are the boots, two sets of Vinten spreaders (one broken), 2 battery chargers (Nikon and er, Canon) , one glasses case, one Senny wireless reciever and cable, I have no idea how many QR plates from God knows how many heads, and enough paperwork (mostly research for reviews) to choke a horse.

And that's just my "In Tray". The rest of my desk, which seems to occupy a hectare or two, is littered with so much gear I simply don't have the stomach to tackle it.

If you want them, just holler and figure out a way to get them there gratis, no problems.

Regards,

CS

Chip Gallo May 18th, 2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Dean (Post 1733802)
Those are quite different from each other. The mywireless is a short hop uncompressed (or potentially compressed but lagless) hdmi transmitter and receiver. It goes across the room in full quality. The liveshell is designed to stream to the web/network at (i assume) compressed data rates.

Cool device though. Thanks for sharing.

We just had a project at work where the customer wished for a "strolling" camera view. The event was distributed via our Polycom video conference systems and I think this little streamer would have been ok, except possibly for range. With any of the low-cost home gear I worry about reliability and feel inclined to either buy several to have a backup or look for a more expensive but sturdy device. I would definitely try the HDMI solution at home though.

Andrew Dean May 18th, 2012 11:58 AM

Yeah, I'd totally be too nervous to use the actiontec for live-to-screen or live-to-tape applications. At least, not without a lot of testing first. I'm seeing it more for the narrative/commercial/industrial shoot where a director wants to see everything on a confidence monitor, but a glitch now and then won't be an issue. I mean, with hdmi, we far too often lose the signal in the middle of a dolly/jib shot, but all it means is the director might want to watch that shot back. I see the benefit of this monitor solution saving hours and hours of "let me watch what you just shot" time.

Andrew Dean May 28th, 2012 06:14 AM

I did some more testing and fiddling with this setup, if anyone is curious to read pt ii.

RigJob: The dusty broom closet of indy film production.

Andrew Dean May 30th, 2012 06:41 PM

Heh. i have no idea if anybody is reading this stuff, but here is another update where I'm rigging up a new bracket:

RigJob: The dusty broom closet of indy film production.: Wireless HDMI + DP6 part III: da bracket