Monitor for Camcorder help please - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 26th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #16
New Boot

Re: Monitor for Camcorder help please

The OP listed a monitor that was 7", but, IMO and of far more importance, a higher resolution!
7" HD-DSLR LCD Monitor w/ Advanced Video Functions - LCD4Video

Most of the 'alternative' monitors mentioned in this thread are 800x480 native resolution; that whilst slightly better than the built in screen of the host camera, are hardly going to help improve tasks like focusing ect...

The OP's 7" is higher res @ 1024x600 meaning more pixels and therefore higher resolution. More leads to higher resolution = better chance of getting a good focus in the field.

All of the monitors mentioned in this thread down-sample the incoming image from the camera to the native resolution of the panel. The OP's monitor option at least gives the option to pixel map which, as someone else mentioned, does mean you don't see the full picture, does at least mean checking focus around the centre point is possible.

The field monitor market is set to explode soon, with the arrival of Full HD (1920x1080) panels. You can already find these in use on some of the later mobile phones and tablets (LG, Samsung ect...)

I have a 7" 1024x600 monitor now and the only complaint I have is poorer viewing angles, but understanding it's limitations is key to getting good results. It using very cheap to buy Sony NP type batteries too.

I will upgrade though, just as soon as the higher res panels filter down to the semi-pro market.

It's very interesting times...

Pete

My camera setup
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5re9dhebvz...17.06%20ED.jpg
Peter Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
This 5" Marshall is without question one of the best deals you will find: Marshall Electronics V-LCD51 5" Monitor / V-LCD51-LPE6-BK

5" is more than large enough - 7" is just too big for an on-camera monitor in my opinion. Additionally, the resolution is identical in most of the 5 and 7" models you are looking at, 800x480. It has HDMI input, peaking, false colors, pixel-for-pixel and a Canon LP-E6 battery mount included. There are also about 7 or 8 other battery mounts you can choose including Panasonic and Sony.

Some of the lower end Marshalls are sourced form the same place as the Lilliputs. Same goes for the lower-end Ikans. You'll find that certain models look strikingly similar... This 5" I linked to above is simply a better quality monitor than most being discussed here. I own two and would recommend them.
I apologise for bumping this thread, but does anyone know the approximate battery life I'll get with the marshall V-LCD51 using canon LPE6 batteries? I might be getting one for my 5D and would like to know how many batteries i would need to get along with it. Thanks
Old November 10th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Trustee

With a normal 1800mah LP-E6, the monitor should run for 1:20 or so. I have a bunch of cheapie LP-E6 batteries rated a little higher at 2800mah from Amazon/eBay. They cost about $10 each and work just fine. You may get a little more time out if them. The PhotoPro dual LP-E6 charger is also really great - the one with the LED display.
Old November 10th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
With a normal 1800mah LP-E6, the monitor should run for 1:20 or so. I have a bunch of cheapie LP-E6 batteries rated a little higher at 2800mah from Amazon/eBay. They cost about $10 each and work just fine. You may get a little more time out if them. The PhotoPro dual LP-E6 charger is also really great - the one with the LED display.
Wow only 1 hour and 20 mins? that sucks. :/
Is the 1:20 with peaking and zebras active? Or will that reduce it even further?
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #20
Trustee

Zebras and peaking certainly can't help...

Perhaps you should be looking into the Sony or Panasonic battery options, as a higher capacity battery would last you all day long. The NP-F9xx series batteries are cheap and easy to obtain, and free chargers come with many third party packages.
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Zebras and peaking certainly can't help...

Perhaps you should be looking into the Sony or Panasonic battery options, as a higher capacity battery would last you all day long. The NP-F9xx series batteries are cheap and easy to obtain, and free chargers come with many third party packages.
Yup that is definitely a consideration..I already have third party NPF-970s for my lights and could get more...but the marshall V-LCD51 only comes with the canon battery mount right? Or is there a sony option?
Old November 11th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #22
Trustee

Yeah, there's a bunch available - maybe 7 or 8 different options. Not sure how you source gear in Singapore, but they're all listed on B&H.
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Ah yes, you're right. Missed that. Any idea how many hours I'll get on an F970?
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #24
Trustee

6600mAh divided by 1.25 Amps = about 5 hours

I think my math is correct...
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:52 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
6600mAh divided by 1.25 Amps = about 5 hours

I think my math is correct...
Ah ok. thanks a lot, you've been a great help!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software