DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Cineroid EVF with retina display (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/509883-cineroid-evf-retina-display.html)

Paul Kapp August 8th, 2012 10:23 PM

Cineroid EVF with retina display

The new EVF from Cineroid is to be available soon.
I have been told end of August by Cineroid.

Paul Kapp August 13th, 2012 11:29 PM

Cineroid EVF with retina display specs

320 PPI 1080p 3.2" display.(retina)
SDI in and loop through.
HDMI in and SDI loopthrough.
Modular power options via battery adapters for multiple types, Canon, Sony, etc
And 2 pin Lemo 6-17v DC input.
Diopter with coated lens.
The usual Peaking/Zebra/1:1/False Colour/etc
Waveform monitor.
Vectorscope.
1/4 20 mounts on 3 sides.
Removable loupe.
Removable mini hood.

US$1190
Stated end August 12 release date.

Paul Kapp September 7th, 2012 06:11 AM

Re: Cineroid EVF with retina display

1 Attachment(s)
The Cineroid EVF4RVW will ship 17th September, according to NZ company Cameraworks:
EVF4RVW (RETINA DISPLAY) AVAIL’ SEPT 17TH

Paul Kapp October 10th, 2012 04:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cineroid EVF4RVW
Finally on sale.

It's actually cheaper for me to get it from England since they will give it to me ex tax.
Cineroid EVF 4RVW Electronic viewfinder with Retina display | 3D Broadcast
So I went with 3DBroadcast.com
Supposedly they will get supplies 11.10.12 and forward on then.

T.G. Lawrence October 14th, 2012 11:43 PM

I've really been anticipating this product becoming available. I'm surprised to see a headphone jack and mono speaker but no visual audio monitor. Were this feature added in a firmware update I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Mark Kenfield October 16th, 2012 05:49 PM

Looks really good, I'd love to hear how it compares to the Alphatron (it sounds like they're the two key options going at the moment).

Paul Kapp October 16th, 2012 06:16 PM

EVF4RVW is on it's way to me by DHL from 3DBroadcaststore.com in the UK.
Am doing a shoot on Friday so hopefully I will have it by then and give a report.
I have been waiting since April for either the Alphatron or this one and shooting without an EVF.
I chose the Cineroid because I like the modular design and direct selection of functions with preset buttons, that is, no need to go through menus, just press a button for functions.
The Cineroid lacks a leaf shutter and HDMI out, but I won't need it.
The Alpha has better aesthetics but the Cineroid looks more functional.
I'm presuming the screens are the same.

"Audio meter is included in function."
Cineroid new retina EVF - YouTube

Mark Kenfield October 17th, 2012 08:15 AM

From what I've been reading of EVFs those loupe shutters to prevent the glass from frying your screen are actually quite important.

I wonder if a cap could be fashioned for it simply?

Paul Kapp October 23rd, 2012 06:52 AM

The leaf shutter is a useful innovation I agree, but we have done without them until now.
You still have to remember to shut them and if you can do that you can remember to point the evf down, tilt the loupe up or cover the eye piece.
I read somewhere of someone who still managed to fry their Alphatron screen by failing to close the shutter and exposing the screen to magnified sunlight.

My Cineroid has still not made it out of customs after a week at the DHL depot in Sydney.

Sabyasachi Patra October 24th, 2012 11:42 AM

Paul,
Will wait to hear your experience. Let us know when you get it.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Paul Kapp October 26th, 2012 04:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally received the EVF4RVW last night and briefly tried it out.

The screen seems high quality and enables a well focussed image I feel.
I was able to discern some pixel grain through the diopter but this seemed noticable more when I looked for it and when I focussed my eye on the display surface instead of on the image plane, though I could see pixels when looking at sharply focussed spots such as reflections on a chrome tube. Resolution seems high.

The diopter does not disort the image into a bloated or punked shape which was a concern I had and it is easy to see the whole scene without having to pan my eye too much which was another concern.
The photo below makes the view through the eyepiece seem punked but that is because the phone camera I used was 2" from the screen I guess. It doesn't look this way in reality.

The evf body seems high quality, made of cast aluminium but the loupe seems to be of cheap plastic, the kind used to make cheap VHS cassettes in the past, or cheap black DVD cases now. It seems fragile and I'm not game to test it's strength.
I'm not sure if my perception of it is right or whether it's just my first impressions.
For the money it could have been made with higher quality plastic.
On a positive note, the loupe is very light for it's size.

The back of the body was quite warm after 10 minutes but nothing extreme.
I'm glad there is not a cover on it at the back.
To me this is a feature, as the back is bare and heat can dissipate easily.

The menu system is well done with many features, and all accessible.
Preset functions are directly accessible by each of the 4 function buttons, which take you directly to the function, e.g. 1:1 goes straight to 1:1 and then toggles back to full frame when pressed again.

There is a stopper that fits on to the eyepiece in the shadow disk that protects from sunlight.
I might put a string on it and join it somewhere so it doesn't get lost.

The EVF fastens by a 1/4 20 female in a small attachment that screws to the body.
There are 3 places, top, RHS and bottom where the fitting can be attached, and the kit comes with 2 attachments.
The kit also comes with a bag, 3 different battery cradles and an adapter that fits to the back of the body, and a Mini XLR to D-tap power cable and the eyepiece stopper.

I can't compare it directly with another EVF except from memory.
It does seem of high quality and very practical for focussing and framing.
I find it easy to look through compared to my memories of JVC and Sony pro camera EVF's.
Compared to pro cam evf's the cineroid is very modular as it can be adapted for use with many types of supports.
It can be rigged for shoulder shooting and for cinema style at the rear of used as a small monitor on the side.
This would be true of Alphratron, Small HD and Zacuto EVF's as well.
I have never seen an EVF with a built in waveform and vectorscope and I already have these in a VFM-56wp but it could be a cool feature in an evf.
There is an audio monitor function but I didn't have audio on last night when I tested the evf.

I have it rigged for shoulder mount and it works well this way.
I'm happy with it after waiting for 6 months, all the while, using my camera sans veiwfinder.
Now I have a complete system and it feels good.

Paul Kapp October 26th, 2012 07:44 PM

I have changed my mind about the construction of the loupe.
After opening it up, it is more like a typical electronice device.
There are numerous precision made clips and some are spring loaded.
The loupe is light at 140g while the EVF body is 300g.
The lightness of the loupe makes the EVF balance better than it would if it were made of metal or heavier plastic.

Looking inside the loupe it seems robust enough.
I like the modular design that enables the loupe to have an extra stage inserted for greater magnification,
the loupe to be removed leaving a small hooded monitor,
and the hood can be removed leaving a bare monitor.

Paul Kapp December 5th, 2012 08:35 AM

I have had more of a chance to play with this viewfinder and I really like it.
Upgrading firmware to the latest(1.21) was difficult and I had to use my partners pc as it would not work on mine.

But after using it on my rig I am very pleased with it.
As a small monitor the picture looks superb, sharp and great colour.
Looking through the loop at 1.6 magnification I notice the pixel structure when I looking for it.
But the screen has twice the tv lines of a Sony 3.5" colour viewfinder and is suitable for accurate focusing.
There is no barrel type distortion.
The functions of Peaking, 1:1 Pixel, Clip Guide(Zebra) and Waveform are brilliant.
They work together without issues, Peaking and Zebra both working properly in combination.
1:1 Pixel works well but changes Peaking which I would expect as you are effecively changing the focal length(Zooming) and the number of red peaking dots drops.
I found that it really helped to focus accurately with Peaking and 1:1 both on.
The menu system is very well organised and the 4 function buttons allow direct access to the respective functions, with additional options for waveform/vector accessed via the scroll wheel.

The device gets quite hot and I'm glad there is no cover on the back to restrict airflow.
The modular design of the loupe and screen are very useful.
When not using the loupe it can be flipped up or even removed.
An extender can be added inline to increase magnification.
It has a functional aesthetic to it as if it is the business and not a showpiece.

Mark Kenfield December 11th, 2012 05:59 PM

Thanks for the continued updates Paul, they're a big help! (there's not much feedback on the Cineroid out there).

If you're able to give us the occasional update down-the-line on how well the unit is holding up in terms of reliability and build quality, that'd be much appreciated.

Phil Goetz February 12th, 2015 09:02 AM

What about reports of warranty claims and units failing? We have churned through a couple and currently have one that is not working.