different color space standard at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 28th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #1
Major Player

different color space standard

can anybody explain to me why we have standards like YUV,Rec 709 and SRGB and what are they use for?

Last edited by Victor Nguyen; November 28th, 2012 at 05:01 AM.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: different color space standard

Other will know more technical information but these color spaces are for different delivery mediums. YUV is for television and RGB is for computers or major motion pictures. sRGB is a subset of RGB used in the photo & printing world. They each have grown around and in responce to the needs of that industry.

We have to deal with all of these because of the melding together of everything since the interent. If you want your footage to look coorect over these different mediums, it is wise to experiment with these different color spaces to learn how to alter your finished product to "fit" each one.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen View Post
can anybody explain to me why we have standards like YUV,Rec 709 and SRGB and what are they use for?
The WHY is because they were created by different organizations and fill very different needs. Each color standard is based on the technology arena in which they serve.

YUV colorspace is based on human perception and is weighted for our sensitives to different colors.

REC 709 uses YUV or RGB encoding to bring us the images for our HDTVs

SRGB is another way to represent color primarily used for printed material. It is the colorspace most computer monitors work in and the root of the problem with using computer displays for video color correction.
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Wasn't sRGB a color space that Microsoft preferred at some time?
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Google is your friend. Google will lead you here, among other places.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
Google is your friend. Google will lead you here, among other places.
No, Google and I are not friends any more. We kinda got into a fight... and everybody know that Wikipedia is a lying bastard. All terrible jokes aside, I ask here because I want a simple human answer not a wall of text. But I guess I'll try to read it...
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Inner Circle

How much detail do you want in your answer?

Or should I ask what kind of answer are you looking for? Are you asking about technical details or the politics of standards establishment?
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
I'll keep it simple. Forget YUV, the correct format is Y'CbCr and it is a delivery protocol for digital video sampled according to Y'PbPr analog standards. It has nothing to do with color spaces.

Rec 709 and sRGB are color spaces. They are almost the same thing for all intents and purposes. These spaces are derived mathematically, but after many years of research into the technology available to know if monitors can actually display the entire gamut.

If you really want to understand what's going on, please read Driving Miss Digital - I've gone to great lengths to keep things simple. You might also find Comprehensive Guide to Rigging Any Camera ? 10 External Monitoring (Part 7) | wolfcrow interesting. Hope it helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software