DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Well, it's time to bust a def rhyme (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/513619-well-its-time-bust-def-rhyme.html)

Steven Davis January 19th, 2013 11:31 AM

Well, it's time to bust a def rhyme

Ok, so I want a preview monitor to use on both dslr and with my sony video cameras.

Shop till you drop I say, and I've been doing research like crazy. I was looking at the Small HD stuff, but am I the only one that feels like they are higher in price for what you get?

Shaun Roemich January 20th, 2013 08:48 AM

Re: Well, it's time to bust a def rhyme

You may not be the only one but folks who think you pay too much for the Small HD are wrong. Brilliant solutions. Pro gear, semi pro price.

Shaun Roemich January 20th, 2013 11:05 AM

And before someone chimes in that I'm a troll, up until Marshall and SmallHD (and a few other manufacturers) REALLY amped up their game, we relied on HD monitors and viewfinders from the Big Boys at prices like those you see here:

Sony Viewfinders| B&H Photo Video

I never thought we'd see functional Peaking on an external LCD panel... I was wrong. The SmallHD Peaking function alone makes it a STEAL.

Steven Davis January 20th, 2013 11:47 AM

Thanks Shaun, I haven't compared all the possibilities, I'm leaning towards the Small HD though.

Nate Haustein January 20th, 2013 11:57 AM

I also think SmallHD monitors are great. I have the DP4, and I would say that you might want to look at something larger if this will be a primary monitor for you. The 4" is nice and portable, but critical focusing can be a little hard without the magnification (a great feature!).

They make a new 7" called the AC7 - for the price it looks really great.

Shaun Roemich January 20th, 2013 06:15 PM

I've HAPPILY used the DP6 HD-SDI.

Steven Davis January 20th, 2013 07:53 PM

I'm leaning towards the 7inch, I'm just trying to keep my stomach from ordering the most expensive one.

Les Wilson January 20th, 2013 09:28 PM

The peaking on the SmallHD is amazing. But I don't care one bit for their false colors on the DP-4. The whole skin tone range plus the temperature above and below is one color. It's very hard to use for skin tones. In contrast, my Marshall 7" has fantastic false colors along with all the other normal features. Designed and made in the USA to boot.

Here's the false color scheme on the DP4 which may also be used on the 7" unless they updated the scheme.... YMMV
http://www.smallhd.com/images/SmallH...-IRE-Scale.jpg

Garrett Low January 21st, 2013 11:49 AM

I had a SmallHD monitor. Very good deals and have to be considered very affordable for the feature sets. I opted to sell mine and get a TVLogic monitor which for me gave an improvement in false colors and at the time gave a wave form which the SmallHD did not. In comparing the two monitors the TVLogic gave a more accurate color rendition.

The new SmallHD OLED monitors look very interesting. I just with that they would give more programmable function buttons.

Steven Davis January 21st, 2013 11:53 AM

Thanks Garrett, I'm trying to get the biggest bank for the buck, so to speak...

Shaun Roemich January 21st, 2013 12:18 PM

Everyone's priorities are their own but the thing that is most important to ME are the things I CAN'T fix in post:

- what is in the frame
- FOCUS!

I can fix exposure (as long as I am in the ballpark), colour, I can crop a bit if I need to...

I can't fix focus.

And yes, I like scopes (a LOT, actually...) but I have never been able to look at false colours and "see" exposure... I know fundamentally how it works but I trust scopes, zebras or even the lowly histogram far more than anything else...

Again, YOUR priorities may well be different than mine. The SmallHD DP6 Peaking/Focus Assist function is SUPERB for an external monitor coming out of a MONITOR out and not a VIEWFINDER out.

Steven Davis January 21st, 2013 01:48 PM

Shaun makes good points. I want a monitor that will serve both my dslr/hdmi and video/hdmi. We did a photo shoot the other day, and even with the honkin lcd on the D800, the technical shooting we were doing was still slowed by the small monitor. Good points all.

Les Wilson January 21st, 2013 05:13 PM

The larger the monitor, the less important SmallHD's special focus assist becomes. At 7", the peaking and/or expanded focus is just as good. If the camera has no exposure assist as is usually the case with DSLRs and the false colors of your monitor aren't good enough to get you close, now that's a problem. Skin tones are critical and if blown out, they won't be fixed in post.

Shaun Roemich January 21st, 2013 06:47 PM

Well, SORT OF, Les...

I'd take a 6" 1920 x 1080 monitor of decent quality than a 22" 1200 x 800 monitor of questionable quality ANY day...

But I understand and agree with the basic premise...

And the DP6 has real Peaking, which I can use while rolling and watching the entire frame for focus pulls... can't do that with Expanded Focus...

For moving shots, Peaking is critical...

Steven Davis January 22nd, 2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 1774422)
I had a SmallHD monitor. Very good deals and have to be considered very affordable for the feature sets. I opted to sell mine and get a TVLogic monitor which for me gave an improvement in false colors and at the time gave a wave form which the SmallHD did not. In comparing the two monitors the TVLogic gave a more accurate color rendition.

The new SmallHD OLED monitors look very interesting. I just with that they would give more programmable function buttons.

Hey Garrett, does BH not sell TVLogic?

Garrett Low January 23rd, 2013 11:19 AM

Steve, unfortunately I don't believe B&H carries TVLogic. I got mine at FilmTools.

One thing about all peaking functions is that it can still give you errors. It really depends on how sensitive you set it. Peaking functions look for hard contrast edges to see what is in focus. So, it can be fooled. Also, you'll notice, when you are panning the peaking function is not accurately displayed, The best way that I've found to accurately nail focus is to premeasure distances and mark them on your lens or follow focus unit. People think I'm crazy when I set up my FF during an interview or such, but it isn't just for pulling focus. It allows me to mark focus zones which I can quickly go to. Knowing your DOF is also essential so that you can tell when you're within the focus range and you don't see any hunting during manual focus.

Most important functions to me for a monitor are accurate framing, nailing exposure, and focus assistance. That's just me and everybody I've worked with has a slightly different mode of operation and so have different requirements for their monitors. Best situations for me are when the colorist is on set with their nice big calibrated production monitor so they can really help to nail exposure for the magic they will pull of in post. And, when you've got a good focus puller on set it really helps too. On small budget productions like most of what I do, we usually don't have that luxury. But when we do the results are noticeable especially when we have complex blocking, lots of camera moves, and a lot of action.

Steven Davis January 26th, 2013 12:28 PM

It's done. I ordered AC7 OLED Field Monitor and LCD Field Monitor Specifications today. It apparently will take 2 weeks to get it, so I'll have to wait to play. I researched to death and sometimes you just know when you're done researching and need to push the red button. Thanks for all the information guys, I've put off a purchase like this long enough. :}

Garrett Low January 27th, 2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1775473)
It's done. I ordered AC7 OLED Field Monitor and LCD Field Monitor Specifications today. It apparently will take 2 weeks to get it, so I'll have to wait to play. I researched to death and sometimes you just know when you're done researching and need to push the red button. Thanks for all the information guys, I've put off a purchase like this long enough. :}

Congrats Steven. You're right about researching a purchase to death. I'm definitely guilty of that. From the initial specs and my past experience with SmallHD equipment you should be very happy. Please report back on real world usage once you've had a chance to live with it.

Steven Davis January 27th, 2013 06:04 PM

Thanks Garrett. I'm looking forward to it, I really wanted something I could use in a variety of ways, and since we shoot both stills and video, I expect this thing to get a lot of use.

Besides, what guy doesn't like new toys!