HDMI TX RX camera to monitor. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 15th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HDMI TX RX camera to monitor.

I'm probably dreaming but thought I'd throw this one out there anyway!

Just bought 3 new HD, HDMI capable monitors, 2 X 7" and 1 X 5". One for the steadicam, one for the jib and the smaller one to mount on camera when needed. I had intended to use HDMI cable to connect them to the HDMI out on my Sony PMW-350 but I suddenly thought, is there a wireless sender/receiver option around? So my question is this, does anyone know of a smallish TX/RX set up for HDMI, preferably in dongle/stick form? I realize both ends would likely need powering so ideally I would like them to be able to take a Dtap from a Vlock battery to their power inputs. Not asking for much am I?

Could anyone point me in the right direction, or is this compact HDMI TX/RX set-up yet to be invented?
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: HDMI TX RX camera to monitor.

Forgot to mention the main reason I want wireless images, one would also be used as a Director's monitor, last thing I want is a Director attached to my camera, especially on a documentary! The current all-in-one systems, though, are ridiculously expensive.
Old March 15th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tangey View Post
I'm probably dreaming but thought I'd throw this one out there anyway!

Just bought 3 new HD, HDMI capable monitors, 2 X 7" and 1 X 5". One for the steadicam, one for the jib and the smaller one to mount on camera when needed. I had intended to use HDMI cable to connect them to the HDMI out on my Sony PMW-350 but I suddenly thought, is there a wireless sender/receiver option around? So my question is this, does anyone know of a smallish TX/RX set up for HDMI, preferably in dongle/stick form? I realize both ends would likely need powering so ideally I would like them to be able to take a Dtap from a Vlock battery to their power inputs. Not asking for much am I?

Could anyone point me in the right direction, or is this compact HDMI TX/RX set-up yet to be invented?
This should do it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/908055-REG/idx_cw_1_wireless_hdmi_transmitter.html
Old March 15th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Looked at that one before Chris, not entirely convinced.

Also being a short production run product the price is still way over similar AC "plug-in" domestic versions. On top of that Australian retailers are asking over 50% more for it, despite the Australian dollar being worth more than the US! Can it hook up to a v-lock? That would be a good start. Actually just bought several D-tap to Blackmagic camera cables for my monitors, all work perfectly for a different purpose, if these would do the same I'd be very happy!
Old March 15th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I built a cable to go from d-tap to the 5v input of the transmitter for mine. Easy to do and cost less than $40 in parts.

You can go with the consumer level stuff. For the most part they use the same chipset.
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

this device is sold by several companies (IDX,Paralinx,Nyrius and possibly others).
Paralinx and IDX sell it for $1000+ but Nyrius is selling it for $220. They all look exactly the same.
I purchased 2 sets (Nyrius) from AMAZON and it works well (even the 3D from my sony TD10 is transmitted correctly to my Samsung TV). They are compatibles between brand so you can use one emitter of one brand with receiver of the other brand.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Inner Circle

That looks familiar... Did Paralinx license the technology to IDX? Cause that is exactly what the Paralinx Arrow looks like...

Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Lets just say there is a reason they all look alike and leave it at that.
Old March 15th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
I built a cable to go from d-tap to the 5v input of the transmitter for mine. Easy to do and cost less than $40 in parts.

You can go with the consumer level stuff. For the most part they use the same chipset.
I take it Chris, that it is Dtap to USB?
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post

Just another one Chris, you mean you are taking the power from a v-lock battery? Isn't the voltage/amperage too much, or can these things handle a range of power inputs?

Another alternative might be this lifetrons power pack (see photos) which I actually bought to remotely charge my "i-things". The HDMI monitor is already independently powered so I suppose I could just use one of these at both the TX and RX ends for HDMI transfer, would that work? I guess I would then just use normal USB cables as the lifetrons has both USB and mini-USB in/outs on either end of the unit. Is 1amp enough to make each end of the HDMI system work?
Attached Thumbnails
HDMI TX RX camera to monitor.-img_2001.jpg   HDMI TX RX camera to monitor.-img_2003.jpg  

Old March 16th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Those batteries work great for the mini HDMI transmitters.

I built my own cable with a voltage regulator to knock the voltage down to 5v. Mine have a small DC plug as well as a USB connector for power.

Since I use the transmitter on a steadicam rig as well I wanted to minimize the number of pieces I had to manage. I wanted to run everything off the camera battery.

If you are looking for a dead simple regulator check these out. I started using these regulators to build cables for on car video transmitters a few years ago. They are dead simple to use and rock stable.

3 amp version - 3A Adjustable step down switching voltage regulator

1 amp version - Adjustable step down switching voltage regulator
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Inner Circle

the device require too many power , more than you can get from an usual USB port (usually max 1A)
Some USB can give more especially if they are not on a computer, so you need to give a try.
Most of device providing 5V on a USB socket are specifying hom much you can load it.
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #14
Inner Circle

i got 3 power bank like this one and they are ok (but the USB output is limited to 2A, and there is only one, so it could be a limitation).
from my experience , the emitter ask for 1A and you really need to provide this current because i tested several cheap chinese adapter providing 5V 1A, and it was not working.
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks Giroud, I have now ordered 2 X 20000mah batteries out of Hong Kong, I expect these and the HDMI TX RX kit to arrive separately in the next few days. Once I get it working (somehow!) I will post photos. Total cost will be about US$400, a lot cheaper than dedicated systems and from what I have read, probably over a greater distance. It would have all cost US$300 except for the rip-off freight costs on some of these sites.
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software