External Monitor for EX1R and mounting options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 27th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #1
New Boot

External Monitor for EX1R and mounting options

I have a Sony PMW EX1R Camera and Manfrotto 028B Tripod Legs.
I am looking for an external monitor but do not want to spend too much money for one. I am mostly looking for a monitor to aid in framing a shot, helping with focus, and having a larger view playing back footage from the camera. So I do not need an extermely professional monitor.

I wanted an opinion on the Vello RigVision 9" HD Camera Monitor (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759026-REG/Vello_CM_9HD_Rigvision_9_HD_Camera.html).
Would this work fine with my EX1R just connecting it with an HDMI cable?

Also, In order to mount this to the leg of my tripod, would this work: Manfrotto 143 Magic Arm Kit (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325440-REG/Manfrotto_143_143_Magic_Arm_Kit.html), or would I need something else or any other accessories.

Thenk you.
Anthony Botta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: External Monitor for EX1R and mounting options

If you get a lightweight enough system, you could use the rear 1/4'' hole or mounting shoe to mount the monitor on an articulating arm. I like to have options for handheld + the monitor sometimes.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks. I'm not looking to mount the monitor on the camera. Just on the tripod leg. So I want to know firstly if anyone has an opinions on the monitor I'm looking at, and secondly, if that arm kit will work for me to mount it on the tripod leg or if I need any other adapters.

Thank you for the response.
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Anthony...a Manfrotto "Big Clamp" (or, I suppose the 'Small Clamp') depending on the diameter of your tripod legs would work. The 'Big Clamp' has several mounting options available for attaching lights, ball-heads, etc.. This method was suggested by one of the 'senior' members of the 'forum' who does a lot of sports video.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #5
New Boot

Thank you. I looked into the specs and it says the super clamp that comes with this kits fits legs with diameters of 1/2" to 2". My tripod leg is 3/4" diameter so I should be fine.

Does anyone have an opinion of the monitor ( Vello RigVision 9" HD Camera Monitor)

Thenk you.
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Anthony. I'm not familiar with that monitor, but I posted a question about a monitor a while back. I also have an EX1R. Lots of good ideas in the thread. I hired a freelance shooter recently and he had a SmallHD DP6 monitor that mounted directly on my camera with an arm. He used a hood on it and it worked great, even handheld.
Link: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ect-focus.html
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #7
New Boot

Thank you.
Anthony Botta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software