New TV For My FX1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 27th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Pearce
I went to the Sony builiding in Ginza, Tokyo in June this year. They had 2 or 3 displays playing Blu-Ray discs on Sony plasma screens. They were very, very impressive - much better than any HD I have seen before. I guess the size was about 55"-65". Does anyone know what model and resolution they were, please?
Not sure - but just received an e-mail notification from Sony Aust. about the launch of the "Bravia" series of HD LCD monitors around the country. Timing would be about right for the local release here of something you saw in Japan in June.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 05:53 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi

Thanks for the long and great info you gave me

The TV will be used for watching DVD’s, sky, and playing FX1 footage, that’s it really. I don’t think I will be connecting up to the PC as it will be in a different room so would have to move it each time unless you can some how set up a wireless connection.

The one I listed above seems to be the only Sony 50" model around they are bringing a new one out soon nov time but there is not much difference be side the new one has HDMI input and the one im looking at doesn’t.

But the one im looking has this nice floating design so when you’re watching a dvd it seems like its floating, sounds interesting.
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rog
Hi

Thanks for the long and great info you gave me

The TV will be used for watching DVD’s, sky, and playing FX1 footage, that’s it really. I don’t think I will be connecting up to the PC as it will be in a different room so would have to move it each time unless you can some how set up a wireless connection.

The one I listed above seems to be the only Sony 50" model around they are bringing a new one out soon nov time but there is not much difference be side the new one has HDMI input and the one im looking at doesn’t.

But the one im looking has this nice floating design so when you’re watching a dvd it seems like its floating, sounds interesting.
Hmmm... So how you intending watching edited material? Do you want to watch it as HD quality, with all the effects, transitions and titles etc. at full 1920x1080? If you do; you can write back to the camera - which is your only current option as a PAL FX-1e owner, or you might consider the X-Box 360 connected via 10/100 LAN hardwire if it lives up to expectation. Don't even consider wireless for any HD/HDV playback from PC to HDTV. There's nowhere near enough bandwidth - despite the marketing hype, to stream anything better than compressed SD. HD only works over wired 10/100 or Gigabit.

My experience has been that writing back to the camera for every edit check is a pain in the glutes... and writing to DVD just means your watching downrezzed material, so while it's good - it's just not the same thing. Besides; writing an edit back to DVD can take longer than you might expect, and it too starts to wear the ole patience a bit thin...

So keep an eye out for PAL HD network media players. There's supposed to be a whole batch (besides the X-Box 360 and PS3) coming out around November, December. Just so that you know, for some strange reason, none of the current HD media players can playback PAL HD/HDV of 720 or 1080 standard.

I figure the more you know about this HD/HDV thing the better...
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi

That media player sounds good i'll be looking at one of thos when they are around

Thanks for all the advice
Old September 29th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I bought a WinTV 32" TV and monitor (includes about 8 different inputs) for $1,000 at Micro Center and it is great as a monitor for my edit computer and shows my Z1 footage beautifully. I watch TV on it when not on the computer. I went in with my camera and tried it out before buying. The sales people were happy to let me try it.
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Gents

Take a tip from a warhorse that's gotten himself thrwon out of a store by wanting to hook up a cam to a monitor or similar device. Get permission before you hog your cam down to the local store - and make sure you get permission from the head honcho - not some floor salesperson.

That aside, I would never purchase something like this without testing directly with a camera first - that way, you know what you are getting.

Cheers
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi

This is not a model I can easily test because of the high price and size few shops have it in stock without doing a special order, but iv read what I can about it and all sounds good.
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #23
Major Player

I noticed there are a lot of lcd/ plasmas out there that has native resolutions like 768 or 720p not even come close to 1080i. In other words there aren't a lot of 1080i native resolution screens. I assume it will look great with the 720 resolution but why settle for something less when you have "big gun" camera. Like I said in my other post this whole HD movement is confusing and overwhelming.
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 06:46 AM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
I noticed there are a lot of lcd/ plasmas out there that has native resolutions like 768 or 720p not even come close to 1080i. In other words there aren't a lot of 1080i native resolution screens. I assume it will look great with the 720 resolution but why settle for something less when you have "big gun" camera. Like I said in my other post this whole HD movement is confusing and overwhelming.
the 1080P screens are arriving. I am actually looking to get BenQ 3750 which is LCD based with 1920x1080 resolution (37").
Thanks,
W
Wojtek Tryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek Tryc
the 1080P screens are arriving. I am actually looking to get BenQ 3750 which is LCD based with 1920x1080 resolution (37").
Thanks,
W
I prefer Sony hands down. By the way I visited Ottawa this past summer..you have a beautiful city!
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #26
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
I prefer Sony hands down. By the way I visited Ottawa this past summer..you have a beautiful city!
Thanks Fred, I like here as well.
Are you referring to 1920x1080 resolution in Sony line? Which model?
Thanks,
Wojtek
Wojtek Tryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #27
Regular Crew

today I checked the sharp aquos lcd. The latest models seem to have a lot of impprov on blacklevels. A huge difference with the previous model which I also checked connected to the component out of my z1.
it recognised the 1080i input immediatly.
I still am a bit confused. The sharp revealed a lot more than my viewfinder or my z1 lcd. It s num,ber of pixels is also not really standard. I am desperately trying to find excuses not to get m e a panasonic hd vierra plasma and somehow the qquos appels to me. portable!! So you can use it on the set. But alsdo at home you can easily take it to the bedroom, put it next to my apple alu displays...that I can t do with a pana....but the pana is 720p compatible....
Does anyone know these aquos lcd s? some opinions would be appreciated.
What could be the downside if I connect my 1080i to an lcd that has 1366x768 pixels and what could be the reason that the screen reelas a sort of overscan...?
Jane Snijders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane snijders
today I checked the sharp aquos lcd. The latest models seem to have a lot of impprov on blacklevels. A huge difference with the previous model which I also checked connected to the component out of my z1.
it recognised the 1080i input immediatly.
I still am a bit confused. The sharp revealed a lot more than my viewfinder or my z1 lcd. It s num,ber of pixels is also not really standard. I am desperately trying to find excuses not to get m e a panasonic hd vierra plasma and somehow the qquos appels to me. portable!! So you can use it on the set. But alsdo at home you can easily take it to the bedroom, put it next to my apple alu displays...that I can t do with a pana....but the pana is 720p compatible....
Does anyone know these aquos lcd s? some opinions would be appreciated.
What could be the downside if I connect my 1080i to an lcd that has 1366x768 pixels and what could be the reason that the screen reelas a sort of overscan...?
I have a Sharp Aquos 83cm LCD HDTV. The fact that I do is an indication of how good I thought it's image to be. I've been watching HD since 2002 and when the Aquos was improved from it's rather inadequate predecessor, I decided to replace my Panasonic 76cm CRT HDTV.

While many folks seem to want to avoid the shock of the new; by defending to the bitter end, the primacy of old technology... I decided to look at what I was seeing with only one goal in mind - Get the best image that is possible on screen.

So I got the Aquos. It's a multi-scan unit, and it does similar scaling to that which a computer monitor would do for an image of pixel dimensions larger than the screens native resolution. Unlike a computer monitor, it's variable synch rate, means no problems with NTSC, ATSC or PAL playback!

It's 1366x768 pixel count means that you have more than enough pixels for 720p (1280x720) at native resolution, and plenty to scale 1080 into. The fact that 1080i scaled looks awesome as well is just a product of Sharp having got the quality of their scaler, matched with the resolution just right. BTW, all LCD HDTVs up until the first 1080p native capable monitors appeared in demo a couple of months ago - were 1366x768.

I'd suggest you also try to find out the native resolution of some other HDTV screen technologies... You'll be surprised at how low the pixel count is on most plasmas, that CRT is so low - it's embarassing enough that many CRT spec's don't announce it!!

The image from my FX-1e looks AWESOME on my Sharp Aquos. Shows that are really 1080i on HDTV broadcasts look so good that at times you forget you're watching TV!! I mean... it's so good that you'll even watch a crap show, because in good HD it's just that much more visually seductive.

The portability of the Aquos has it's pro's and con's. Move it around to any antenna point - or get a long RF lead if you don't mind tripping over it... Won't break the back of anyone over 10 or under 90 when they lift it - mind you; not so good when you're told by the Police that your Aquos was nicked by a 89 year old!!

It's got DVI - yeah I know that HDMI is the next big thing for "pure digital" image quality, but I'll be honest with you... DVI was promoted as superior to Component connection - well if it is I can't see it!! Maybe it's a mozzie's undies better, if that - so why all the fanfare over DVI. Sales!! That's why.

Moral of that - even brands that give you the product that you're after quality wise, can still get caught up in the marketing hype. Being 'brand loyal' to any company involved in HD/HDTV is not doing yourself a favour. Just remember that this technology is NEW, very new - and to keep up with every new device offering "better" HD quality is going to require either: a) large sums of money OR b) a careful approach that maximises the usage of each HD device purchase you make.

For me the Aquos does just that, because it's technology will remain current for at least 10 years (spare parts for it therefore not a problem), and until it does become obsolete, HD quality from subsequent technological advances will only provide very little image quality improvements, as current HD standards for broadcast will not be upgraded (despite the loony fringe that believes TV networks are just dying to spend millions to impliment 1080p!!)for at least another ten years.
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #29
Wrangler

You can't beat a 1080i CRT for viewing interlaced footage like that from a FX1. You also can't beat the black levels of a CRT compared to LCD, DLP, and plasma.

Of course widescreen 1080i CRTs limit you to about 34" and that was the big problem for me. I eventually with with a Sony 50" LCD rear-projection and for progressive content it can't be beat but I still keep a 34" Sony XBR tube.

Someone will most always point out that these consumer 1080i CRTs are a few lines short on vertical resolution but then again so is the FX1... I'm just not a big fan of upconversion, downconversion, and i/p switching.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
It's got DVI - yeah I know that HDMI is the next big thing for "pure digital" image quality, but I'll be honest with you... DVI was promoted as superior to Component connection - well if it is I can't see it!! Maybe it's a mozzie's undies better, if that - so why all the fanfare over DVI. Sales!! That's why
HDMI doesn't improve the picture but just includes audio from the single cable. You can even purchase a cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software