New TV For My FX1? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 12th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #46
Wrangler

Steve, I'm not so sure I follow you.. There are plenty of 1080p LCDs available for under $5000 in both TVs and computer monitors. Sharp makes a 45" 1080p LCD for around $4000. Dell makes a 24" 1080p LCD monitor for less than $1000. With scalable DVD players and uncertain HD future it just makes sense to purchase the maximum resolution, especially if you're keeping it for over 10 years.

Quote:
Just wondering - for those promoting 1080p; how many 1080p camcorders that are affordable there's likely to be within the next 10yrs? Don't forget to mention that there aren't any yet...
There probably won't be any 1080p prosumer cams for quite some but thats normal considering that we had 720p/1080i for almost 6 years before we had affordable (sub $10k) HD cams. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy 1080p content now with a PC and even some scattered 1080p movies that were derived from film transfers (Terminator 2).
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Haupfear
Steve, I'm not so sure I follow you.. There are plenty of 1080p LCDs available for under $5000 in both TVs and computer monitors. Sharp makes a 45" 1080p LCD for around $4000. Dell makes a 24" 1080p LCD monitor for less than $1000. With scalable DVD players and uncertain HD future it just makes sense to purchase the maximum resolution, especially if you're keeping it for over 10 years.

There probably won't be any 1080p prosumer cams for quite some but thats normal considering that we had 720p/1080i for almost 6 years before we had affordable (sub $10k) HD cams. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy 1080p content now with a PC and even some scattered 1080p movies that were derived from film transfers (Terminator 2).
Crikey!! I don't want anyone following me!! I tend to get upset at folks who just want to follow me around... I'm sure you can stand on your own two feet!!

Still, I gotta say - When one see's deals on a $10,000 US retail price of $4,000 US including shipping - I start to get the, "rip-off" time voices going in the old mental "radar"!!

The sort of net deals that equate to the HDV camera deals that abound for suckers... "Why pay $3,000 US for a Sony FX-1, when our amazing no-catches deal will set you up to shoot HDV for only $1,000 US!!"

What a surprise those poor suckers got when their cameras came with everything that's supposed to be included stripped, and if they wanted them, they had to pay outrageous sums to get them... "terms of the purchase aggreement" conditions kind of thing.

As an LCD HDTV owner I'm aware of the extra items that would come with a more appropriately priced, and truly legitimate transaction. These screens don't just come by themselves... they have a connections/receiver/input/output unit that is essential for their operation. They're seperate to allow the screen the flexibility of placement that wouldn't occur if it was integrated physically into the screen.

Bet I can guess which bit would be missing from the $4,000 purchase. ;)

As for the 1080p computer monitors... Er, that's what they are. They're not a replacement for a larger than 32" HDTV.

So for the sake of making it easier to 'follow' my contention that 1080i LCD HDTV's of 32" and larger will satisfy the viewing needs of the less wealthy; but still discerning HD consumer for at least the next 10yrs or so, I have only this small piece of advice to offer.

Think like a poor person.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #48
Wrangler

Quote:
Still, I gotta say - When one see's deals on a $10,000 US retail price of $4,000 US including shipping - I start to get the, "rip-off" time voices going in the old mental "radar"!!
Steve I don't think were looking at the same Sharp 45" LCD. Both B&H and OneCall have the 45" Sharp LC-45GD4U 1080p LCD for $4000. Both are reputable and authorized to sell Sharp products on the Internet.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #49
Major Player

Perhaps someone can clarify something for me.

Nothing infuriates me more than going to a local Future Shop or Best Buy, and seeing all the of the TVs look ridiculously different because NONE of them are properly calibrated.

While I find the ~$1000 1080i CRTs and the $2000 to $10000 plasmas consistently look good, most of the LCD displays I see always look over-saturated. Now... I'm sure somewhere in the LCD panel controls the colour can be adjusted to get a more balanced image - but can someone confirm this is the case?

I just can't justify the projection technologies - DLP and LCD - because I find the viewing angles just don't do it for me and my room is a little small. Not to mention the DLP colourwheels bother me.

The way I see it:
CRT - great colour, low resolution, cheap, heavy, takes up lot of space
Plasma - great colour, lower resolution (not 1080i/p), expensive, heavy, small profile
LCD - mediocre colour?, good native resolution, mid-range price / expensive for high-end models, light, small profile
DLP/LCD projection - lousy viewing angles, optics limited/chip limited resolution, cheap, reasonable weight, medium profile

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #50
Regular Crew

pro crt

and when money is no object...the sony BVMD32E1WU

lewis
Lewis Lehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #51
Regular Crew

if the sharp 45 inch would cost 4000 euros here in europe I would go for it ...sad that it is still 5500 euros here......with the expected huge pricedrop i guess it is not wise to get the best. The more expensive ...the more money is waisted. strange aint it that better always is more expensive.....
i wish manufacturers would place their topproducts in the market with more reasonable prices. Better sell a lot of your topmodels at low prices than few at high .....but who am I? I am just a stupid pro consumer that wants the best. But deals at 5000 plus seem like a rip-off to me . no matter what resolution. Guess I ll take a 1366x768 lcd. Although i m not a poor girl.
Jane Snijders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Lehman
and when money is no object...the sony BVMD32E1WU

lewis

oooh i like that one. http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro...KDLV32XBR1.jpg
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Hello

If you want to look at the best around then it’s going to be the Fujitsu or the Panasonic these are the best plasmas around for now. iv been looking at LCD’S and iv seen one by Philips which is 1920x1080p and looks very nice and from what iv heard its a very good model but im most interested to here from anyone who has connected there camera to this set?

Thanks
Jim Rog is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software