New TV For My FX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 26th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New TV For My FX1?

Hi

Been looking at getting a new TV the one im looking at says it has 1365 x 768 pixels wega engine what I would like to know please is this going to be good enough to view the FX1 footage at its best? does 1365 x 768 pixels mean 1080i? 720p or what? any help would very much be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #2
Wrangler

The ideal would be 1920x1080, however I'm not sure whether you'll see a whole lot of difference. As long as the TV can accept a 1080i signal then it should work with the FX1 - look at the spec sheet. Almost all HDTV's can do this, they use an internal scaler to match the 1080i raw signal to the screen's native resolution.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rog
Hi

Been looking at getting a new TV the one im looking at says it has 1365 x 768 pixels wega engine what I would like to know please is this going to be good enough to view the FX1 footage at its best? does 1365 x 768 pixels mean 1080i? 720p or what? any help would very much be appreciated.

Thanks
You'll be able top watch your FX-1e clips at their best on such a set.

If the pixel count was lower than 1280 horizontal or 720 vertical, then you'd be in trouble!!!

You'll also be pleased that being in PAL territory, the HDTV you're looking at will no doubt be multi-scan and capable of displaying NTSC/PAL of all flavours.

Why don't you take your FX-1e into the showroom and hitch it up via the component cable to any of the sets you're thinking of purchasing? Then you'll be certain about the quality of the HDTV, matched to the 1080i coming from the cam before you lay down the readies...
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply guys

The one iv been looking at is this one http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProdu...=TVP+Plasma+TV http://www.dealclick.co.uk/product/1...KDEP50MRX1.php im trying to find the PDF spec sheet to download but cant seem to find it anywhere, I saw somewhere its says HD READY but not HD compatible but what I think this means is it can display HD but when sky go live with there HD in 2006 it wont be able to receive it unless I buy a box for it. Sony centre have very little in them so not much chance of hooking the camera up to a set in the shops. Do you guys know what connection the TV needs to plug the camera up to it with the very best picture/sound quality? I thought it was firewire but can’t seem to find any TV with them on but I know they are out there.

Thanks
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:16 AM   #5
Wrangler

Phew, I'll bet that's expensive :-) The specs are a little sparse there, but it does indicate it has component video input. So you can just plug in the component cable from your FX1 and get high quality. Firewire is a little more exotic feature for a TV set, although I suppose some of the high end products may have it. However, I'm not sure whether it would be compatible with the firewire implementation on your camcorder.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi

Yes very expensive coming in at around $12,368, guess you’re paying for the design concept and the 50" screen size. Yes you’re correct since the FX1 has component then that's the way it’s going to have to be connected together.

Thanks for the help.
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Hi

Thanks
TO get optimum image you need 1080i/p vertical resolution. You will need 1920x1080 TV (Westinghouse, BenQ etc). The 1280x720 or 1368x768 units will "only" display 720p pixel by pixel and will interpolate down 1080i to 720p.
Regards,
Wojtek
Wojtek Tryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Crisdale
You'll be able top watch your FX-1e clips at their best on such a set.

If the pixel count was lower than 1280 horizontal or 720 vertical, then you'd be in trouble!!!

You'll also be pleased that being in PAL territory, the HDTV you're looking at will no doubt be multi-scan and capable of displaying NTSC/PAL of all flavours.

Why don't you take your FX-1e into the showroom and hitch it up via the component cable to any of the sets you're thinking of purchasing? Then you'll be certain about the quality of the HDTV, matched to the 1080i coming from the cam before you lay down the readies...

Thanks for the advice there

read over it a bit quick before and did not see the bit where you said about the component cable but now I see it.

Thanks for the help
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Wow, that is quite a set. It should look great with the camera attached.

I have the 50" DLP Wega, and I love it. I hook my JVC JY-HD10u up to it with component cable and it is great.

I checked the specs on the site you posted, and it says it has the digital tuner. That is the tuner for over-the-air HD broadcasts, and it is in my too. I can only get one regular channel here that is HD, but looks so good! Good news is that it is my Monday Night Football channel!!!! Pretty soon many more I hope.

Good luck with it!

Mike
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #10
Regular Crew

New SHarp pn-455 ... maybe it will work

http://vpo3.virtualpressoffice.com/c...=1127769028135

take a look
Adrian Vallarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #11
Regular Crew

that's a monitor not a TV right? or is it both?
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Monitor, but you can always buy a $30 VHS recorder and use it as a tuner for SD tv. For HD youll probably get a box from your provider.
Adrian Vallarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I use a Samsung HLN5065W - 50" DLP TV. 1080i and 720p both look incredible. The TV can be purchased for about $2500 new.
James Sarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I went to the Sony builiding in Ginza, Tokyo in June this year. They had 2 or 3 displays playing Blu-Ray discs on Sony plasma screens. They were very, very impressive - much better than any HD I have seen before. I guess the size was about 55"-65". Does anyone know what model and resolution they were, please?
Colin Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Unfortunately for those looking at the 'best' options available for viewing their HD material, the line between monitor and 'TV' is becoming a little less defined these days... Generally a 'monitor' is not going to be as effective for "all-round" HD playback as a multi-synch HDTV, but that distinction is diminishing in relevance as connectivity between PC and HDTV become easier and easier...

The best thing to ask yourself to help make the decision is - how big do I want my HD viewing screen to be?

Because it's obvious you're looking at more than 28" or 76cm, the HDTV option becomes much more viable. There aren't many 'monitors' that are larger than 28", and those that are are a hell of a lot more expensive than a similar size HDTV.

I know that the unit you're looking at has more than enough resolution to handle HD quality playback - I was just a little concerned to see you write "I saw somewhere its says HD READY but not HD compatible".... Yikes!!!

That's like a Real-Estate agent telling you that a house is "resident ready but not resident compatible". I hope you take my meaning... Many folks here in Oz have been suckered by that one. HD ready and HD compatible ultimately mean - SD quality ONLY!! Sales people will try to pull the ole' "this unit is fully Digital Sir!", "of course it can handle HD - HD is digital..." if they sense someone doesn't walk the walk or know the talk :)

Are you intending expanding the functionality of your intended HDTV purchase at some point? i.e. with a digital amp, or network media player? If so, be sure to check the capabilities of the SCART connectors. We don't use SCART much if at all here in Oz, but I recall that HD is possible over SCART - just not sure how it's implemented. I'm also not certain that the single Component connector won't prove a bottle-neck for device connection if you want to expand your set-up.

There does appear to be either an RGB/DVI connector for PC attachment, so you may be able to connect a PC with DVB-t card to give yourself a pseudo HD broadcast video recorder.

Anyway; now that I've filled your head with visions of Sugar-plums and fairies...

Hope it all works out for you!! :)
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software