Flanders FSI LM-2140W vs Panasonic BT-LH2170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 19th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Flanders FSI LM-2140W vs Panasonic BT-LH2170

Is anybody here using the FSI LM-2140W? I've heard a lot of great things about it.

LM-2140W with Field Package

I'm looking at that or the Panasonic BT-LH2170. B&H has a deal right now so they're both around the same price.

The Panasonic 17" monitors are everywhere, built well and trusted. The 21" has a nice 2-input feature that shows two sources side by side. The FSI comes as a nice field package with mount, sun shade and custom case. Much lighter and less power hungry.

Anyone in this same boat?
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Flanders FSI LM-2140W vs Panasonic BT-LH2170

HI Mark,

I am in a similar boat and have researched the Flanders 17" and 24", 10 bit displays. Also now considering the OLED 17" from Sony.

If you are just using it as a field monitor I think both of your choices are ok, I would go Flanders due to great customer service. If it is for critical color you should really go 10bit display not just 10bit processing.

Hope that helps.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Guys,

I have been using the LM-2461W and find this excellent.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Simon,

Nice to hear from you. Great you made the jump an are happy with the purchase. Did you look at OLED?
Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Paul,

Good to here from you to mate. No I didn't look at the OLED, I think the price might have blown me out when I was purchasing the Flanders. You really know when colours are out when using the Flanders against stock standard computer monitors. I don't class myself as a colourist and most time I just do a rough grade in FCP or Avid but it's a great tool to have when colours are off and a client is determined that their monitor is displaying colour correct.

Cheers
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Inner Circle

HI Simon,

The Flanders LM-2461W is at the top of my list. Almost purchased one at the beginning of the year but funds went a different path. Just want to give the OLED a good look first to make sure I am happy with the choice.

Looking at going F55 and moving from the C300 and want to pick the best monitor for the F55. I know neither is 4K but I don't think I will be editing 4K for a bit. Still using the PMW500 and C300?
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Trustee

Hi Paul,

Im still using the PMW500 and I'm using this on everything these days. The Canon C300 I'm trying to sell as I don't use this enough to keep, might as well go to a new home.

The Sony 55 looks great, in fact a mate here in Sydney has one and the images look fantastic.

Cheers
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Ah the 500 is amazing an I miss it. I have checked out the F55 an will look at it again this week. My C300 has worked well but the F55 is a different level an some clients are demanding it.

Will send you email if I make the move. Spring on the way for you soon.

An thanks for the Flanders input.
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #9
Wrangler

I too have the FSI 2461, I have been using it as my on-set reference monitor for the past year and a half or so and I'm very pleased with it. Solid feature set, I trust the image, support has been great. I sent it in to be calibrated before this past season of "Key & Peele" and they said it barely needed any adjustment, and it has been shipped around a fair amount. FSI regularly comes out with firmware upgrades, including LUT's for the various log modes as they emerge (last one included SLOG2, for example).
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks Charles,

What a tribute to the construction and attention to detail of the monitor.

Nice to have the LUT's built in and firmware updates.

Have you used the Sony OLED?
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #11
Wrangler

I have, and I battled for a while over whether I should get that vs the FSI. At the time, the feedback I got was that the OLED was almost too good, in the sense that I might get fooled into seeing details/tones that wouldn't reproduced elsewhere (since OLED was still quite exotic). I think this is slightly less of a concern now, but I still like knowing that I am working with an image that is closer to the typical viewer's experience, i.e. it's an accurate broadcast quality image just not "future standard" accurate, if that makes sense.

I'll post pix later of the current setup I'm working with this week where I have the 2461 up against a wall of Sony OLED's...it's an interesting experience.
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Thank you Charles,

I am conflicted between the two and appreciate you sharing your experience.

Spent time in a buddies studio yesterday looking at footage from the F55 on the 17" OLED and I see what you are talking about. The details in the blacks are amazing. I have never had the chance to view a Flanders.
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
I too have the FSI 2461, I have been using it as my on-set reference monitor for the past year and a half or so and I'm very pleased with it. Solid feature set, I trust the image, support has been great. I sent it in to be calibrated before this past season of "Key & Peele" and they said it barely needed any adjustment, and it has been shipped around a fair amount. FSI regularly comes out with firmware upgrades, including LUT's for the various log modes as they emerge (last one included SLOG2, for example).
Hi Charles, May i know more on the LUTs with the monitor esp the Canon Log if it might have, How would it help me to judge color/exposure etc when shooting on Canon Clog mode... I mean the output from SDI would be seemingly flat so how does Monitors LUT help. Pardon my ignorance on the subject.
Roger Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Also how do CG276 Eizo compares to FSI 2461W for color grading and reference monitors for field.
Roger Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #15
Wrangler

The monitor applies a LUT curve to convert the various log formats into REC709 for viewing. I haven't had a chance to use these yet as I have had a DIT with Livegrade doing that but I know it is has been a part of the FSI upgrades to the monitor and is in the menus.

Not familiar with the Eizo panel. The TV Logics are also good.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software