Ikan VK5 for Canon DSLR?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 3rd, 2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ikan VK5 for Canon DSLR??

Been thinking about getting a battery powered field monitor to use with my 5DII and 7D. I just want something that will make framing and focusing a little easier than trying to crouch down and look at the back of the camera when on tripod. Like the looks of the Ikan VK5 for price vs features vs favorable reviews. Anyone here use one or have experience with it?

Bob
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Ikan VK5 for Canon DSLR??

Alright, since nobody seems to know anything about these, I will let you guys know when mine gets here. Just ordered direct from Ikan.

Bob
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Looking forward to seeing your report, Bob -- thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I got my Ikan VK5 last Friday. I unboxed it, assembled it and tested it. Then I took a look at the mounting options and placed a couple orders for the stuff I needed to get that done. It's been almost a week and now I have it mounted up and spent a little time getting to know it.

This is a 5.6" monitor with native resolution of 1024x600. I considered getting the larger 7" VK7 but it has the same resolution and I thought I would be happier looking at a smaller monitor with tighter pitch. I ordered mine with the Canon LP-E6 battery mount since I have three cameras that utilize that battery. The monitor also comes with an AC adapter, a sunshade, and a almost worthless mini-ballhead. I say almost worthless because it will not hold the monitor securely but, perhaps I may find something else it could hold.

My initial impression when I removed the VK5 from the box was that it was very lightweight and cheap feeling. I suspect it would not survive much abuse in the field. When I was assembling the battery mount to the back of the monitor, I was very careful not to torque the screws too tight or to push down too hard as I screwed them in. When I connected the battery lead to the jack, I was not thrilled with the fact that the plug does not push all the way down into the socket.

The monitor does not come with a HDMI or any other type of transmission cable. I scrounged up a 36" mini-HDMI to standard HDMI cable and connected it to my 5DII. After pushing the power button the monitor fired up and went to a Ikan splash screen. I hit the live view on the camera and after a second, the image appeared on the VK5.

The resolution is very nice and colors are really good right out of the box. The image from the camera was somewhat small in the center of the monitor with the usual exposure info below. I pushed the "info" button on the 5DII and the exif went away and the image filled the screen on the VK5. When I hit record the monitor let me know that the signal dropped to 480i but the image still filled the screen though there was a loss of sharpness.

I've not gone down into the menus yet so I can't say how well some of the features work. I will continue to update as I spend some more time with this thing.

Bob

Untitled by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

Last edited by Bob Ohlemann; September 13th, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Bob Ohlemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ok, why are my pics not showing? Pretty sure I've posted pics the same way before.

Bob

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software