DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Convert VGA to HDMI (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/519654-convert-vga-hdmi.html)

Marcello Mazzilli October 25th, 2013 10:41 AM

Convert VGA to HDMI

Hi,
I am looking for a way to convert a VGA signal to a standard HDMI signal....
There are many converters on the market for 30-40 euro but I need to be sure that it works with any input (I am inputting not from a PC but from the passthrough of a VideoProjector) and it outputs a REAL video signal for Europe (that is 1920 x 1080 50i).. It has to go into Blackmagic ATEM TVS ....
I can't understand how these little boxes are able to change Hz, upscale resolution and create interlaced stream.. for 30€... To me they just change signal from analogue to digital but Hz, resolution and fields (that will be progressive) stay the same... What do you think ?

Jacques Mersereau October 28th, 2013 01:55 PM

Re: Convert VGA to HDMI

I have not used Gefen's VGA to HDMI with SCALER,
but I do have six of their DVI to HDSDI with Scaler boxes.

Although Gefen's remote controller and the selection process there-in (how you set it up) SUCKS,
once you are able to get the input and output settings right, they work really well.

The scaler and ability to use all the various types of signal input and convert them to correct signal output are essential imho.

HTH. YMMV.

Marcello Mazzilli October 28th, 2013 01:59 PM

The thing is.. as far as i know.. that these things work fine on TV... HD tvs.. through HDMI can scale and visualise signals even at different Hz, resolution and with or without fields.. but I need it for an ATEM TVS that wants EXACTLY a video signal (as if from a camera).. nothing more.. nothing less...

Jacques Mersereau October 28th, 2013 02:13 PM

Well, nothing is ever guaranteed until it works ;-) But one thing I do know about Black Magic gear.
It wants what it wants. If you can't give it exactly what it wants, it probably won't work.

You might first try with a less expensive converter and see, but be ready to purchase something that offers more choices in output signals.

Let us know what you find Marcello.

Marcello Mazzilli October 28th, 2013 02:41 PM

I saw the GEFEN.. seems a good machine and the OSD HW menu seems to be what I need to select the OUTPUT resolution. Still.. I downloaded the manual and there is no info on frame rates or frequencies.. so (in my opinion) it seems it will keep HZ from the input.. which is not good.
I asked the italian reseller extra info and maybe a place to test it here in Rome where I live.

thanks, Marcello

Jacques Mersereau October 28th, 2013 02:57 PM

Yes, it is good to be careful.

The Gefen DVI to HDSDI w/ scaler does allow conversion from 60i input to 50i HD video output and from 50i input to 60i output.

I guess I am not exactly sure what signal format you are inputting and which you are outputting to the Black magic.