Picture Mode for NEC PA271W for web viewing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 14th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #1
New Boot

Picture Mode for NEC PA271W for web viewing

Hey All,

I was recently gifted a three year old NEC PA271W from a friend of mine who was upgrading his editing suite hardware. So far I'm loving the monitor and now use it as my main editing monitor. I need an advice for a short-term solution to editing video and which picture mode to use for that purpose.
Before we get into: At the moment, I don't have the budget for a monitor calibration tool, and certainly not enough for a broadcast monitor. I'm sure the monitor needs some sort of calibration eventually, but I'm not there yet (though I'm saving up!)

The monitor has several picture modes Adobe RGB, sRGB, High Bright, Full, and DCI. 95% of my work is for web viewing, so most people will be viewing the end product on computer/mobile screens.
I know there is no setting that will give me the best results for everyone, but I'd like to use the setting that will get me closest color accuracy possible while editing video for the majority of people out there.

If I edit a video use the 'Full' setting, which I assume uses the monitor's full gamut, and upload to youtube/vimeo I get something that looks great on my monitor. However, if I view it on my girlfriend's 27" iMac or an iPhone, the colors look muted and dull. If I then edit colors using the sRGB setting, things look good on both our monitors (if I keep mine on sRGB) but then if I switch back to 'Full' or view it on my android phone, the colors are blown out and skin looks awful.

So, again here is my question:
Which picture mode should I use for editing video so that most people viewing on the web will see a picture that is acceptable when it comes to color accuracy?

A little info on the hardware/software I use:
I'm a photographer and a videographer so I will be using this monitor for both applications. It is being run with a mid 2010 MacPro (5,1) with an ATI Radeon HD 5870 and DVI-D to the monitor. I edit using LR 5, Photoshop CC, and Premier Pro and After Effects CS5.5. I shoot with 5DmkIIIs and the occasional rental C300/C100.

Thank you guys in advance for any advice!
Glade Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Picture Mode for NEC PA271W for web viewing

Bump. Anyone? Again any insight would be helpful.

Thank you!
Glade Truitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software