EVF Ideas ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 16th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Trustee

EVF Ideas ?

Hi guys

I'm looking for a good evf. I have used an Alphatron on a two week shoot before and thought that was excellent. However I thought I'd throw it open for other suggestions ?

Cheers
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: EVF Ideas ?

After 18 months of use I've been very happy with the Alphatron but I must say the new Zacuto Graticles look good. Two models, OLED one at $3K and the lesser speck screen at $1.5K. Due around October or so. Very high spec little units. LUTs, WFM, Vector and Histograms etc.

Alphatron have been good with the firmware upgrades at no cost plus they upgraded my eyepiece glass to the new 'antiburn' diopter to try and minimize screen burn. Sun through the diopter can burn your screen in seconds. The Alphatron screen is actually an iPhone Retina screen, about $100 for a replacement. Touch wood I haven't burnt one but know people who have.

I somehow think the Zacuto screens, especially the OLED would be way more expensive.

NAB Video: Zacuto Shows Us Their New Gratical HD 720 OLED EVF and Z18 Tripod No Film School

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 02:57 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: EVF Ideas ?

Hi Chris
Thanks for your response. Funny you should say that. I managed to screen burn the one I was using...and yes I just looked away for a few seconds and the sun was over my shoulder. I was shooting in Borneo at the time so plenty of sun about.

Interesting to know they have tried to help that problem my next shoot is in Phillipines and out on a boat so it will be sun bathing all day !

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software