HP 24" Z24X DreamColor Display at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 16th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #1
Major Player

HP 24" Z24X DreamColor Display

Time for a new monitor. Anyone have experience with this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044900-REG/hp_hp_dreamcolor_z24x_professional.html
HP Data sheet makes reference to "emulation" of BT.709 although I do wonder how much of that statement is marketing rather than reality. 709 isn't critical for me, most of what I do is web based anyway but I wouldn't argue with having a reasonable approximation.

I did find one user review saying early models had a slight magenta cast and dark corners, supposedly fixed for those manufactured after June 2014. Unless its embossed on the monitor itself, anyone know how you find out the date of manufacture?

Open to all recommendations in this price range or a couple of hundred bucks more.

Thanks
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: HP 24" Z24X DreamColor Display

I guess no one is using this monitor. What are people using that they'd recommend?
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post
I guess no one is using this monitor. What are people using that they'd recommend?
I'm currently in the same boat, looking at monitors in the 400-600 range. Not sure if I should hold out and wait to get something in 4k or not. As of now I've been really considering two Dell UltraSharp U2412M monitors but I must admit I'm really interested in Dell UltraSharp 24 monitor - UP2414Q with the new 4k action, but boy so expensive I could easily get two of the others by forgoing the 4k.

There are lots of options under 800$
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #4
New Boot

Good monitor especially for the price. I am using it for editing & basic color correction. It should be more than adequate for web video. Shane Hurlbut Speaks highly of them.
Don Platon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I recently bought an HP Dreamcolor LP2480zx monitor and like knowing I can rely on its fidelity. There is little or no color shifting at a wide range of viewing angles. And there is a hardware calibrator available that will set the monitor up precisely,

No guesswork.

I can set color with confidence.
Old February 12th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Good to see some responses to this thread. Thanks everyone.

James I agree, there are definitely more than a few choices out there. I decided to put this decision temporarily on hold and consider whether I should go 4k instead. Was also looking at the UP2414Q. No immediate need but its likely not far away.

Don, I’d be curious to read what Shane Hurlbut has to say about the Z24X. What I have read has been generally positive but largely from unknown sources. Do you have a link by chance?

Dean, I was initially looking at the LP2480zx and the calibrator until I realized that for some reason it only works on a Mac with the 27” which is priced out of my budget. I also wondered if I shouldn’t go with newer technology which I believe the Z24X is.
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post
I was initially looking at the LP2480zx and the calibrator until I realized that for some reason it only works on a Mac with the 27” which is priced out of my budget. I also wondered if I shouldn’t go with newer technology which I believe the Z24X is.
the LP2480zx is a 24" monitor and is very reasonably priced, which is one of the reasons why I bought it. It is known to be an accurate monitor capable of reproducing the full color gamut of HD as well as other formats via 10-bit RGB.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software