Looking for a 7 to 9 inch lcd monitor for on set viewing using hdv cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 13th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Looking for a 7 to 9 inch lcd monitor for on set viewing using hdv cam

I am looking for a viewing solution for on set shooting. It has to be between 7 to 9 inches; preferably it is or does 16X9. It should be capable of being calibrated, and I would prefer it if it were an lcd (the lighter the better). I will be using it with the hd100 had cam. I have a current JVC pro monitor, but it is a big bulky deal. I know IKAN produces a few models, but I am not certain of their quality. I have a $500 limit. Color accuracy is of course vital. Please those in the know chime in.
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

resolution is better than the IKAN on the Xenarc 700 series. Priced around $350.

http://www.xenarc.com/product/700y.html

The 700YV has RCA inputs I believe.
Andrew C. Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You can also get a Lilliput, which is the main competitor to Xenarc. Lilliput is cheaper, and from what I have read the Lilliputs are brighter. However the Xenarcs tend to last longer and be a little less fragile. Better manufacturing quality control on the Xenarcs I think. However if you baby the Lilliput it will easily hold up to the Xenarcs.

Lilliput makes several versions:

7" 15:9 NTSC
7" 15:9 VGA
7" 15:9 VGA touchscreen

and they make an 8" 4:3 in the above 3 versions as well.

Why 15:9 and not 16? I don't know, but you can adjust the screen resolution too.

The best place to get them IMHO is www.ex-audio.com. I got the 8" Lilliput VGA touchscreen and ex-audio had it for far cheaper than the next closest competitor (even cheaper than the new ones were going for on eBay). They are in HK, but I paid something like $30-$50 S/H (can't remember how much) and that was for **3** day FedEx shipping, with insurance from Hong Kong to the USA! Overall not too bad!

Go here: http://www.ex-audio.net/shop/index.p...facturers_id=6

or just go to www.ex-audio.com and click on Car Audio & Video (teeny little link up towards the top), and then from the manufacturers list select Lilliput.

Sorry but I don't have a cheap source for Xenarc!

Prices for the 7" 15:9 are:

7" XGA (no touchscreen) - $195
7" XGA touchscreen basic - $235
7" Xga 2005 touchscreen - $255

Not sure of the diff between the basic & 2005 models as the 2005 model seems to be new.

I have my 8" XGA touchscreen (native resolution is 800x600) running attached to a PC (portable direct to hard disk recorder that I built), and I run the resolution at 1024x768. The screen handles it very nicely. The only diff that I see is that the fonts are slightly more difficult to read than in 800x600 desktop res. because of the res limitations of the LCD, but that is to be expected. The touchscreen works very well, it is very bright (though no special coating for viewing in direct sunlight), etc. I am very happy with it.

Alex F
Alex Filacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm attracted to the Lilliput, but I'm wodering about scaling. The 7" Lilliput monitor has a native resolution of 800 x 480. I'll be using PAL (720 x 576). The Xenarc uses a Pixelworks IP chip for scaling; how does the Lilliput do?
Steve Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Flynn
I am looking for a viewing solution for on set shooting. It has to be between 7 to 9 inches; preferably it is or does 16X9. It should be capable of being calibrated, and I would prefer it if it were an lcd (the lighter the better). I will be using it with the hd100 had cam. I have a current JVC pro monitor, but it is a big bulky deal. I know IKAN produces a few models, but I am not certain of their quality. I have a $500 limit. Color accuracy is of course vital. Please those in the know chime in.
Dwight,

Have a look at this monitor. It is priced at $449. Ikan is now a DV-INFO sponsor!

http://www.ikancorp.com/v8000t.htm

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Brady
I'm attracted to the Lilliput, but I'm wodering about scaling. The 7" Lilliput monitor has a native resolution of 800 x 480. I'll be using PAL (720 x 576). The Xenarc uses a Pixelworks IP chip for scaling; how does the Lilliput do?
To be honest, I have no idea. Ti shoudl be able to handle it. It handles video signal coming from my VGA card at 1024x768, but as for how great it will look I don't know. You might want to find the Lilliput homepage and see if they have a tech support link where you can ask them.

How is the signal actually going in to the LCD? VGA, S-video? what?

Alex F
Alex Filacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Alex, thanks.
Steve Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:05 PM   #8
Major Player

if you have a decent laptop, consider using DV Rack. Has a lot of value added products for the money
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software