7" LCD Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 22nd, 2005, 06:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

7" LCD Monitors

Hi,

I am looking at getting myself a 7" LCD monitor to be mounted on the camera. I am looking at either a

Marshall R-R70P-SD - http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/vr70p-sd.html

or

Datavideo TLM-70 http://www.datavideo.us/products/tlm_70_main_page.htm

Does anyone use these monitors and have any opinions which one is better?

The Marshall has the edge I believe because it is higher in resolution, and thus when I go HD eventually I can use it. Question is: What does HD look like through S-Video?

However I do wonder what the actual displays are like ie. are they good in sunlight, reflective etc...

Any opinions?

Thanks

Robert
Robert Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 06:37 PM   #2
Wrangler

AFAIK s-video doesn't support HD. If you plug a monitor into a Z1's s-video port you'll be viewing SD video which has been downconverted by the camera.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:41 AM   #3
Trustee

I wouldn't even think of the datavideo due to it's low resolution. The marshall is only 800x480, so HD isn't an option with it either. Regardless, that is the best resolution available in a 7" LCD. Knowing that, the Marshall has lots of nice features.

BTW, 1.2 megapixels is a TOTAL LIE. They are counting the R, G, and B dots seperately and even that doesn't quite equal 1.2Mega. Lame. All of the LCD manufacturers do it. Pixels are individual complete RGB dots. It has 384,000 pixels.

If this link works: http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/vr70p-dp.html

This model is $500 cheaper and may have everything you need. HD is just not a reality on any of these small monitors as they just don't have the physical resolution, so you may be able to save some cash and still get what you need.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The cheaper vr70p-dp was my first choice actually but at the moment its out of stock and my local supplier said they would sell me the SDI version for the same price - so bit of a bargain.

Take your point re: HD and resolution thats what I thought. I have a feeling over the next couple of years with the advent of HD these little TFT's will develop rapidly higher resolutions and become cheaper. I noticed Marshall are already advertising the next wave a 8.4" w/ 1024x768 due for release in december.

They are just soooooo expensive at the moment, the marshall is $1500AUD!!!!! I did have a lilliput 629 800x480 and even though resolution was good the display was washed out and didn't hold up in daylight. But it was only $290AUD!! However the lilliput had a terrible accident so now in the market for a new LCD, and well I wouldnt buy the lilliput again not after seeing the Marshall.

I wish there was more choice.
Robert Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

robert, did the lilliput display 4:3 correctly? what are the pros/cons of this lcd? thanks...
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #6
Major Player

I have the http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/vr70phda.html

It does HD. I got it for $1250 new. =)
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

We did a side by side test with 7" V-R70P-HDA, a 7" YUV Tamuz monitor and the datavideo.
Itīs not only th resolution which makes the marshall a clear winner, itīs the dynamicrange on dark areas, much less dancing noise on flat areas, very small afterimage effect and noticeable better colours.
The price differences are not mainly because of pixelcount, itīs the electronic for scaling and marshall does a good job.
But generally for critical monitoring, in comparison with a Field CRT monitor, none of this LCDs comes close to a CRT, and thatīs the reason why weīre waiting for the next LCD developement step

alex
Alex Horvath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software