Field Monitor for HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Field Monitor for HD100

Hi guys, just wondering what people are using on location/in-the-field to monitor that shoots? I'm getting a new notebook computer in a few weeks and I have been looking at DV Rack w/HDV to use as a monitor on my shoots. Just wondering if anyone else is using it or can anyone recommend a budget HD monitor to use on location.

Cheers and Merry Christmas
Sean
Sean Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 08:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Here ya go Sean: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=dell+monitor

This monitor cost me about $450 bucks 9 months ago. Should be even cheaper now...but EXCELLENT quality. As a matter of fact, it's a better monitor for your 1280x720 Progressive resolution then it was on my Z1U. It will be a prettier picture for ther HD100.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:42 AM   #3
Wrangler

I rented a Sony 20" Multiformat monitor on the weekend. I loved the idea of having a large monitor on set to check focus and frame, but it was huge and heavy.
Old December 26th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #4
New Boot

DV Rack works for me

I think DV Rack is awesome for film shoots. You need a really fast laptop though. In a Studio, use a 25 foot Firewire cable to your PC and have your script assistant Log the takes as you go and you don't even need the tape although it makes a nice backup. I use 1 19 inch LCD. Although I think there is some lag. Haven't timed it though. The cost is high if you count the computer and software needed. Kinda new software for HDV though so bleeding edge just like this camera :-)
John Schlesinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #5
New Boot

Stephen George

I've been following the the post regarding HD production monitors since October when I bought the JVC HD100 for a job overseas.
I've filled most of my equipment needs for the trip thanks to the post from members in this forum. I am however still in need of a field production monitor.
I agree with many members that a CRT field monitor would be best for color corection and focus check in the field, but I'm not convinced that I should make a purchase of a Sony 9" or 14" field monitor at this time.
I hope in a year or so there will be more options from Sony regarding their multi-format monitors that Tim mentioned.
I'm looking at the Dell 20inchWS monitor as a cheap fix.

Any thoughts/opinions?
Old December 26th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #6
Major Player

I just got two monitors myself.

1. The 7" Marshall V-R70P-HDA http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/vr70phda.html

2. The Sony LMD232WS 23" http://www.promax.com/Products/Detail/7712

Both can be used in the field, but I figured I can't drag the Somny with me on every shoot and I wanted a nice monitor for the post production so I will only take ther Sony on big or long shoots. The Marshall will be kept with me at all times.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Brian for the links.
I checked them both out and the Marshall looks like it may be exactly what I need.
I saw that the Marshall had a V mount and a 4 pin for battery power.
What are you using for battery power?
Old December 26th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen A. George
Thanks Brian for the links.
I checked them both out and the Marshall looks like it may be exactly what I need.
I saw that the Marshall had a V mount and a 4 pin for battery power.
What are you using for battery power?
I am using Anton Bauer Dionic 90 batteries now for the camera, but I am looking into getting a power cable to attach the monitor to the battery. I will loet you know what I find out. You do the same. =)
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #9
New Boot

Will do. Thanks for the reply.

My Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software