Studio Reference Monitors - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:06 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Crossover frq.

<<<-- Something else I saw while surfing the 'net was to watch for the crossover specification, specifically for those in the 1.5kHz to 2.0kHz range because of dialogue. What's this mean? -->>>

The reason this becomes critical is that the bulk of the frequencies in the human voice falls in the range between 300Hz to 3Khz. A crossover in the 1.5Khz to 2Khz range falls squarely in the middle of the most sensitive area of our voice (and hearing). Unless it's a very good crossover it will cause problems.

Most passive crossovers use heavy filtering to achieve the nessasary crossover frequency. For example; if you are crossing over at say 1.5k then the filter for the low frequency driver attenuates all frequencies above 1.5k at 12 to 18 db per octave. likewise the high frequency driver filter is going to attenuate all frequencies below 1.5k at 12 to 18 db per octave. The problem is that at exactly 1.5k there will either be a slight rise or fall because the filters cannot cut the bands off at exactly 1.5k either accenting or attenuating the most critical frequency in the vocal range.

The best soultion is to look at systems that crossover at lower frequencies, the 120Hz to 800Hz range, they will still exibit exactly the same problems but since it's not in the most critical range it won't be nearly as noticible.

As a last note, the human voice, although relatively limited in range is the single most critical thing we as people hear, it details emotion, fear, love etc. That's one reason it's so hard to synthisize and so important to reproduce correctly, especially in ENG & filmmaking.

Mark
Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:25 AM   #17
Regular Crew

the +/- db rating

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Austin : When looking at frequency response don't forget the most important factor the +/- db rating; for example a speaker that can go from 20hz to 22khz +/- 6db is not going to be as good as a speaker that goes from 40hz to 20khz +/- 2db by a factor of 40!! Because a 1 db increase or decrease in sound is a factor of 10x more!!! -->>> I

Just to clarify something; +/- 6db is a 12db range and +/- 2db is a 4db range, so my factor of 40x is incorrect. A factor of 5x is more accurate. Keeping in mind that to go 1db more in volume (twice as loud) requres ten times the amplifier power to reproduce, to go from a ~4db range to a ~12db range is ~8db. 8db x 10(x power required)= you get the picture....

This also applies in the crossover question above; if you only have a +1db rise at the crossover point that's twice as loud as it should be.

Mark
(~ = nominal)
Old January 6th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #18
Major Player

Once again, thanks for the thorough explanations Mark. It's not one hundred percent clear to me yet but I do have a better idea what these specifications mean now, probably the best descriptions I've seen on any forum I've visited.

Finally found someplace that sells high end video and audio gear, going to take the suggestions in this thread and hear for myself which speakers to get. Like many other essentials in this field, I'll probably have to go over my budget.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Going over budget

Like most things in life you get what you pay for. There are some exceptions of course.

There is this weird thing in A/V that I have noticed; once you get a product at a certain level, a camera for example, to get one that is 10 to 20% better you have to spend 100% more?

Good luck on your quest, if you have a good magazine shop nearby look for a copy of Mix magazine, Pro Audio Review, or EQ, they are great resources for in-depth reviews of whats on the pro audio (not audiofile) market these days.
Mark
Old January 6th, 2003, 09:02 AM   #20
Major Player

That was going to be another one of my questions but I'm glad you mentioned some references for reputable reviews.

That extra performance does cost lots more - the price difference is apparent in computing too, like the jump from 2.8GHz (~$400) to the 3.0GHz Pentium 4 (~$700).
Old January 6th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #21
Warden

Mark,

I just read over this thread and have a question. You state a 1 db change is double the volume. I thought it was a 3db change to double the volume. I'm doing this from memory (20+ years since college) so I'm probably off here. Can you verify?

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I stand corrected!

You know you are probably right, I was just pulling the 1db from memory which at this point seems to have failed me....

I just cracked open my dusty copy of The Recording Studio Handbook, John M. Woram; 1982 to be sure, and you are in fact correct.

To paraphrase Mr. Woram; the addition of two sources of equal volume ( 60db + 60db) will result in a percieved two fold volume increase but is actually only measured to be about 3db louder.

Thanks for catching that, I didn't mean to mislead folks. My point is that the difference between 4db & 12db is still pretty substantial.

Mark

(In Texas everything is louder...)
Old January 8th, 2003, 02:43 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Audio Monitors

I am using a pair of KRK's...I think they are V6 or something like that....unpowered..they are small, punchy, clean and accurate.....you need a power amp with them . They ran about $300 for the pair, got them at Guitar Center, which is a cool place for buying proaudio gear. Got my mixer there as well.
Old January 8th, 2003, 09:17 PM   #24
Major Player

One of the vendor links provided above was www.americanmusical.com for American Musical Supply. Anyone ever purchase one of their 'Non-factory sealed' merchandise before?
Old January 9th, 2003, 06:52 AM   #25
Regular Crew

AMS

I think is the mail order wing of Guitar Center, if so I'd have no problem using them, great company.
Mark
Old January 9th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Re: AMS

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Austin : I think is the mail order wing of Guitar Center, if so I'd have no problem using them, great company.
Mark -->>>

Actually, Musician's Friend is the Guitar Center mail order front. AMS is (for the moment) independent. I did purchase a non-factory sealed keyboard from AMS a few years ago. It still had the full warranty, and I never had a problem with it.

MIDIMan
Old January 20th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #27
Major Player

I think I've decided on a pair of active Tannoy Reveals. I see they're recommended here and elsewhere. Funny how in the end budgets are always doubled. Want to thank everyone for their help and input, and of course more opinions are always welcome.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software