DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   video glasses with XL1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/577-video-glasses-xl1s.html)

Lorinda Norton December 29th, 2001 12:48 PM

video glasses with XL1s

For Mike B: Thanks for the info on Olympus glasses. It's nice to know someone has actually tried them; I can't find any where I live. Have you seen Daeyang's Cy-Visor DH 4400? I can't get past their web page--emails for info. keep bouncing back. Looks like you live where they're made! I think they use batteries, are less expensive than the FMD 700. I'm seriously looking to buy so could use any help you can offer. Thanks again.

Ken Tanaka December 29th, 2001 09:08 PM

Camcorderlady,
I don't think that the Daeyang's are being sold in the US yet. I found the Olympus glasses at J&R

(http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1&Product_Id=1991283&showcase=t)

Interesting idea but I see a couple of problems. First, I really don't think that these are truly a better alternative to a b&w head for your XL1. Certainly, they're less expensive but in terms of resolution, I dunno. Second, wouldn't there be a bit of a safety issue when using them while walking or (God forbid) running? Looking at them in a store is one thing, but...

I don't remember whether or not you ever noted what problem you (or youer partner) is having with the XL1's LCD viewfinder. Is it a matter of focusing?

Lorinda Norton December 29th, 2001 11:12 PM

Two inconveniences have presented themselves with the viewfinder: we do off-shoulder shooting in the sun and have trouble seeing/shading a monitor, plus my partner says he has trouble with monacular viewing (he thinks it's physical; I say it's in his head!).

I found and tried on the Olympus FMD 250 tonight and was pretty impressed with the [clarity] and the see-around room. I don't think safety would be an issue unless we were shooting near a cliff. What I don't like (see M. Beeber's comment on xl1 page) is the fact that it runs on AC only, among other critical obstacles.

I think the idea happens to be ahead of the technology. One of these days we'll see glasses like these made specifically for dv. Not one to give up, though, I'd still like to hear about Daeyang's Cy-Visor.

Lorinda Norton December 30th, 2001 12:09 AM

oops...

Trust Varizoom to fashion a nifty sun hood for their monitor. How I didn't see it is beyond me. I must be the one with the eye problem!

But those glasses are still a cool idea -- some of us will be using them someday.

Mike Bebber December 30th, 2001 04:23 AM

I have neve heard of the Daeyang's Cy-Visor before. Do you have a web site for them? I will see if I can find them over here.

I see that you tried the FMD-250 glasses. There good arn't they.
If they were only DC operated like the FMD 700 I would have a pair today. If you want more info on the Eye-Trek glasses go to the olympus homepage and select Europe instead of US. There is much more information there.

Mike Bebber December 30th, 2001 05:05 AM

I don't think the LCD hood will help you much with the LCD out side in the sun light unless you LCD is much brighter than the one I have. I got mine locally so its not a varizoom LCD. It works great inside, in very dark shadows or at night but if you take it out side in normal light during the day you can't see the display. I tried making a hood six inches deep to shade the display but it didn't work well either. It was like looking into a mirror. All I could see was my refrection in the LCD display.

I still think the glasses are the best idea. I shoot alot of video of flying helicopters shooting their weapons during night and day. I usually dont have to move around much but I have to pan and zoom a bunch in all directions. After three or four hours of leaning over a tripod squinting into the EVF I can hardly streighten up or walk.

Ken Tanaka December 30th, 2001 11:07 AM

Info about the Daeyang glassses:

http://www.personaldisplay.com/english/m_tech_2.htm

PDF of tech specs: http://www.cgsd.com/DaeyangHMD/CGSDCyvisorTechSpec.PDF

Lorinda Norton December 30th, 2001 11:53 AM

Mike,

After reading the nature of your work (sounds a bit dangerous!) I can understand your frustration. I hope I have an easier time with my stuff--am ordering from Varizoom today.

Good luck finding those Cy-Visor's; please let me know if you do, okay?

(Thanks for the help, Ken.)

Henry Czuprinski December 30th, 2001 02:07 PM

Varizoom 5.6

Gotta say I found the varizoom great for framing but lacking when focus is critical- had a tough time judging focus accurately even with the nifty foldable hood. Better check it out carefully, see if it fits your needs.
'Course the next better option is double the cost- a 16x9 lcd or portable crt- Think I'll be getting a Sony 8" field monitor for anything serious.

Lorinda Norton December 30th, 2001 04:15 PM

Hmmm, your comments came in the nick of time. Maybe I'll do a little more research. Thanks.

Ken Tanaka December 30th, 2001 04:35 PM

I agree with Morbius. I really can't rely on either my Varizoom or my Marshall LCD's to help me snap crisp focus. Their resolutions are just too coarse. I think the best solution is to bite the bullet and get a b&w head for your XL1. The 2nd best solution is to use a professional NTSC field monitor like a Sony or JVC.

Lorinda Norton December 30th, 2001 04:57 PM

Okay, I think we're talking a little different needs now. Where we specialize in shooting starry-eyed musicians we mainly go for the film look and aren't quite as worried about sharp focus. As far as weddings go, I haven't found a bride yet who wants every blemish in focus. Our clients want us to make them look great--not real-life! That's why I bought the XL1s.

All that to say, maybe we'll be all right with aforementioned products. Looks like I'm a little out of my league talking with you guys, so I sure appreciate the input and will keep it in mind should our specialties change.

Ken Tanaka December 30th, 2001 05:16 PM

I certainly understand your point camcorderlady. Honestly, I think with some practice with the XL1 you'll be able to pull good focus with the color vf.

Just a suggestion, however. Focus is not something you can fix in post, nor can you use mushy focus as a softening technique. You may already know that a black pro mist filter does wonders to improve a bride's impression of your work <g>.

Good luck to you and have fun!!

Lorinda Norton December 30th, 2001 06:11 PM

Ah, add one black pro mist filter to my list of things to buy! I read about them, then forgot. Thank you so much, and, we are having a blast over here in frozen Idaho--makes the editing suite a really nice place to be.

Happy New Year!!

John Locke January 22nd, 2002 12:37 PM

Hi Mike!

You found the glasses, eh? Can you tell me where exactly? Was it at Yongsan Chunja Land (the big white building with the round end)? If so, what floor? Also, do you remember what the price was in Won?