Recommendation for HD Field Video Assist Monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Recommendation for HD Field Video Assist Monitor?

Hi.

As I'm getting more and more into these cameras (I have the HD100 and Z1 - and I'm looking very seriously at the H1), I'm curious what your recommendation is for a very good HD video assist monitor for the field.

I'm also recently new to a set of Zeiss Super Speeds for the mini35's, so critical focus is even more important.

I've found it a bit tough being a couple of feet away from my Sony 8045, and would guess that my 14m4u or 20m4u would be fine - but probably unreasonable to lug around in every situation.

Soooo - is anyone using anything smaller and lighter? I'm looking seriously at the Marshall options, but would want to make sure that they're really something that you could get a tack on focus and decent idea of accurate colors with. I have a number of their dual and triple monitor rackmounts - I like them for reference/live switching, but wouldn't necessarily trust them for focus and color.

Any recommendations (marshall or other) that would let you use analog/component or even the famed H1's HDSDI, still be accurate/light, and even run off a battery so you could mount it to your tripod or shoe for yourself or a focus puller to work from?

Was looking at these for reference:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Would want and need them to really kick butt at $2-$3K, but would pay it if they really did the job well. Just curious what you use, know of, have seen or have heard of.

Thanks much,

Shawn
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Pimp my Ride...

...I have bought a ordinary 7" tft, kind of in car tv, you know MTV "Pimp my Ride" monitor. Could be better - of course; but for in field work - cost about nothing, like 150 bucks. Works for me anyway on my Glidecam Smooth Shooter.

//JN
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Looking for the same thing. My problem is the outdoors. I need the monitor to last for 2 months in the rocky mountains. Has the car tv monitor held up well?
Matthew Delong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Marshall V-R70P-HDA & the HVX200

Hey Shawn!

Hans out here in Colorado ... how's the day job? Hope all is well.

You know, I've got the same question as you. We're getting an HVX200 and I was looking at the 17" Panasonic (BTW-LH1700) to double as a field monitor and in post. However, I do enough run and gun stuff that I really can't use a 17" for and I'm quite leary of the HVX's bulit in display ... too much leeway for mistakes in focus. Have you heard anything new? (I'd ahve to do something different in Post.)

Anybody else seen the Marshall in action with HD? I was thinking of the V-R70P-HDA.

Please send my greetings to those in CS.

- H
Hans Damkoehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey! Hans the Mans... The miracle of the web at work...

I have not used or seen the Marshall 1.2 megapixel. I've got 13 of the smaller screen Marshalls which are nice for reference (switching/playback), but I wouldn't necessarily trust mine for true color or focus.

This new monitor looks nice, but I hear it's not great outside. Not many are of course, but a solid lead are Transvideo monitors. You'll pay for them, but they do well even in sunlight. You'll find them on steadicams, etc. I may head that way, to replace on my steadi rig as well.

Hummingbird has one out too I guess.

I have two of the P&S mini35 adaptors with a set of Zeiss superspeed MKII's. You really need to be tack-on with the focus when those lenses are wide open - so, the clearer the better.

Will keep looking, but I'm guessing just about anything will be better than what they're including in these cameras. Good problems I guess...

Keep in touch and best to you,

Shawn
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software