DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   on cam monitor: HD or No HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/61746-cam-monitor-hd-no-hd.html)

John Benton February 28th, 2006 02:04 PM

on cam monitor: HD or No HD

As an on camera monitor fot the H1
I dislike the viewfinder, esp for steadicam ...Does it depend that much if a small monitor is HD or not for focussing...really?
Any (reasonable) Suggestions?

or wide angle adapters for that matter...

Accesorize !
Thanks,
J

Barlow Elton February 28th, 2006 02:34 PM

You probably need one of those Marshall on camera monitors for the steadicam thing.

Guys, help me out here. Isn't there a little LCD remote VF that will control focus? I forget what it is...

ok, look on page 151 of the manual. ZR-2000 and FU-2000 might be the answer for steadicam work. Follow the focus readout numbers in feet and use the ZR 2000 to pull focus from below the camera. (Probably where you would normally put a VF for steadicam work)

Jonas Nystrom February 28th, 2006 03:32 PM

Pimp my H1

For my Glidecam set-up I've bought a simple 8" rgb (low-res) 16:9 monitor - a monitor for use in cars. I use AF a lot on the rig, when you are moving a it's so hard to pull focus anyway! You get all the readouts in the monitor - if you like. I have my monitor at the bottom at the rig. But a ZR-2000 might be a good idea - if you can attach in a nice way. The monitor is about 100 bucks. Save the money for a FU-1000 instead!

I have (today actually) ordered the RedEye 0.7x72mm wide converter - it is now available - Rene wrote to me that he will have 0.5x72mm for the H1 ready for NAB. I can give you a review in a week or so.

Barlow Elton February 28th, 2006 03:55 PM

You might need a focus puller for this stuff, but that's what's cool about it. Someone can remotely work the camera while you're free to move about.

Darrell Essex February 28th, 2006 04:12 PM

Jonas, you have a link for that monitor?
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES

Bruce S. Yarock February 28th, 2006 07:17 PM

John,
I got a chance to play with the xlh1 today, and they let me put my fu 1000 viewfinder on it. It works great, and is visible from almost a foot away.
Bruce Yarock

John Benton February 28th, 2006 10:37 PM

Good responses,
thanks,

>MONITOR
I will return a 7" (16:9) varizoom LCD that mounts on top of the camera (or on a steadicam) tomorrow -
It has a weird anamorphic affect that is not what is really being recorded.
Also,
...I want to focus with this thing and many SD LCD's are not up to par.
(the HD monitors that small are 1-3,000$ and make me re evaluate the need for this)
But I find focussing in the Canon viewfinder a bit tricky No?
Even with it's hood lifted up (and especially with the eyepiece down - everything is dotty)
Also Taking the viewfinder off, takes the Mic off as well. Pfft.
--I find it a lot easier than the viewfinder, mounted on top of the cam = easy accurate focus
-- on a steadicam it's a nescessity only to be able to see generally at different angles.
I'd have to see and FU 2000...it's about the size of a normal flip out...Hmm

> FOCUS ASSIST
The ZR-2000 looks great, But can you Focus as well as Zoom? Yes I definitely need a focus/ zoom control. Also, without a follow focus system, I often shake the lens (even just a bit) as I am pulling focus.
So I got me something similar, but there is a wierd swith to go from zoom to Focus mode.
I want to control both, or go back & forth easily

> WIDE ANGLE
- I looked at the 16:9 wide angle and I like the curve it gives. The lower the number the more curve. I tested a few , but not many...May go for the 16:9
- THe red eye looks great. post a review, but I found this mention in a review..."the Red Eye is, strictly speaking, a "non-zoom-through" adapter, it can be used as a partial zoom-through with these cameras. The cameras set on auto-focus will allow you to zoom in about 30-40 percent from the wide setting. As the zoom lens tracks past the 30-40 percent range with the Red Eye on, it will then lose focus."

~ J

Jonas Nystrom March 1st, 2006 02:58 AM

Ordinary RCA

I have a ordinary RCA cable. I focus in the cameras viewfinder, crop and pan in the monitor. You get quit good resolution in a 8" monitor, even in SD.

John Benton March 1st, 2006 06:13 AM

Well, I was looking to replace the viewfinder with a small monitor on top (or then on the sled of the steadicam) - the Varizoom makes you question the focus a bit. You are right - it is great for panning etc.
Also I dont get the shot info through the RCA connection.
Oh Well.
The Varizoom will be great for a Steadicam sled,
Although I actually have a smoothshooter and the Canon is at the Top of it's weight - making it hard to handle...More tests are in order.

J

Jonas Nystrom March 1st, 2006 08:41 AM

Yes you do..!

..as written before, you get all the readouts in the monitor with a simple RCA (anyway I get it).

John Benton March 1st, 2006 11:26 AM

Thanks Jonas,
I will look into it again - but I don't seem to with my monitor. I can control the color etc, but that's it
I'll let you know
J