Video monitor confusion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 7th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Video monitor confusion

I kinda come and go on these forums and it seems like just recently more and more people are using HDTVs as video monitors. I've got an older Panasonic CRT video monitor that can be calibrated.

I haven't moved on to HD yet, I'm still editing SD video.

My question is basically: Not too long ago CRT was thought of as superior to LCD technology in terms of color... and of course an actual video monitor can be calibrated. So, why are people using televisions and projectors and LCD monitors rather than a CRT video monitor?

I'd really like to know what are the advantages of using LCD monitors? Can the be calibrated? Is there any way to make a computer LCD monitor (a good one) mimick the way it might look on television?

I think it would be nice if Vegas (or another company) could have an option to show video as it will appear on TV.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

CRT advantages:

You can buy broadcast-grade CRTs with standard colorimetry (SMPTE C for North America, EBU for Europe; eventually this will be 709). With LCDs, the colorimetry is fairly different so colors won't match up.
Shows interlace flicker. If your audience is viewing on CRTs, you likely want to catch this flaw. Interlace flicker typically happens on horizontal 1-pixel lines.

LCD advantages:
depending on model, better HD resolution.
lower weight, size.

Right now, much of the high-end work is still being done on CRTs. There are a few LCD alternatives to high-end CRTs on the market... ecinemasys and cinetal being the most expensive. Sony makes the Luma series, although I hear they aren't very good. Panasonic makes broadcast LCDs too.

broadcast versus consumer equipment: consumer equipment has lots of cheats in them. Many consumer CRTs make compromises to make a brighter image. Consumer equipment do other things in attempts to make images look better, like scanning velocity modulation, excessive sharpening, flesh tone "correction".

2- In your case, it may make sense to do something such as:
Buy a portable field broadcast monitor. JVC, Ikegami, and Sony make such monitors. Panasonic may too. Check the appropriate section under B&H's website bhphotovideo.com. They will be around $600 and can be used in the field and in studio.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software