DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Questions on Sony Video Monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/62639-questions-sony-video-monitors.html)

Daniel Melius March 12th, 2006 01:56 AM

Questions on Sony Video Monitors

Hi all,

I've been looking into getting a video monitor sometime in the next four months. However I am deeply confused on power requirements for the three Sony brands PVM-9L1, PVM-9L2, PVM-9L3. Now I know the 9L3 has 450 Lines compared to the others 250 line resolution. However these power requirements got me all confused. First the 9L3 states that it uses 4-Pin XLR according to B&H Photo. I know what 3 pin and 5 pin XLR's are for microphones, but don't have a clue why it would use a 4 pin XLR. I have three Sony VX2100's that don't have any XLR's on them and the only XLR's I have are 3 pin ones on two Mix pre's that I own. If I buy the 9L3 will I be able to plug it into a good old United States Wall socket? Also, it states that it can use some kind of Sony BP batteries that Sony does not list on their site and neither does BH Photo. As I want to use this monitor to do the inital set up on all three of my cameras, it would be nice to get it running on battery's that I could find some where and buy for this monitor.

Ok now on to the 9L2. All kinds of component video inputs and outputs but no S-Video. So I guess that one's out since my VX2100's do not have component video. It does mention the I-link and so maybe that can be used to view the picture from my cameras. If so, does this model use the same batteries and power chords as the 9L2 that hopefully someone will explain in the above paragraph?

Finally, the 9L1. It is listed as a studio monitor on BH photo and not a Feild/Studio monitor. No mention is given as to whether this monitor can be run on Batteries. Can it? If so, it would be greatly appreciated if someone gave a model number and place where I can actually pick up these batteries. B&H Photo and other places do not list any batteries as accessories.

I just wanted to get these power questions answered before I even consider which one of these monitors I will be buying. After that I have to figure out if these monitors come already calibrated or if I have to take a crash corse on how to calbibrate them myslef. As you can probably tell by now, I have absolutely zero experance with Video monitors. I have not even seen one except for on the web pages of stores.

Mike Rehmus March 12th, 2006 02:05 AM

Short answer to the 4-pin XLR question. These connectors are commonly used for power transmission and you will find them on battery belts and lights. Much better than cigarette lighter connections.

The PB batteries are the old NiCad (and now other technologies) batteries that look like large thick sticks of gum (about 8 inches long). A pair slide into the back of the monitor and it will charge them and be powered by them.

This is all I remember right now. You should give links to the monitors so we can find what you are asking about without everyone having to do a search.

You will probably want a portabrace carrying case for the monitors too. And adapters or special cables since these monitors use 75 ohm BNC connectors for video.

You will have to calibrate them. That has to be done frequently and isn't a big deal. Plenty of info about that on the Web or here. Do a search and then come back and ask questions if you need to.

Daniel Melius March 12th, 2006 08:29 AM

video Monitors

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

How do you use this four pin XLR power. Is there an adaptor that can be bought so that it can be pluged into a regular wall socket in order to charge the batteries?

Also, I thought these three models by Sony were well known and used by proffessionals using the Sony cameras. This is why I did not post links. Do the members here not use these monitors. If not, is there another company that makes video monitors that are more common to your day to day use. The three I've talked about are the only one's that I could find on the internet that are made by Sony. Some sites list them as 8 inch monitors while others list them as 9 inch but they are all the same as far as I can see.

Nate Weaver March 12th, 2006 01:45 PM

Sony has turned over and updated their 9 inch field monitor line so many times many pros don't actually keep track of the exact model numbers. Or at least the working pros I know don't.

There are AC adapters that go from wall plug to 12v XLR, but on the newer Sony field monitors, there's a space on the back for a v-mount battery. Instead of attaching a battery in that spot, Sony has an AC adapter shaped like a battery with a 120v socket for a wall plug. Underneath where that would go is the 12v XLR input for a detached battery pack. It's a pretty flexible system.

My BVM 9" field monitor I believe shipped with the Sony AC adapter...might be a separate purchase on the PVM series monitors.

Mark Sasahara March 19th, 2006 11:35 AM

I suggest the PVM9L3. It is 4:3, or 16x9 switchable, has blue gun and underscan. I use it and it's an excellent monitor. It can run off regular house power, or if you are using batteries, 4 pin XLR, or the Sony V mount. As stated earlier 4 pin XLR is used a lot for power. I have a Bescor battery with both the cig lighter and 4 pin connectors that was relatively inexpensive. At some point, I will get Anton/Bauer batteries, the Sony V to A/B mount and run it via A/B bricks in the field.

You can run an RCA cable from the VX to the monitor. Get an RCA to BNC adapter for a few bucks at Radio Shack and you're in business.

I suggest getting a monitor case, or bag. I have a Porta Brace for mine.