JVC TM-H150CG question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 19th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Tourist

JVC TM-H150CG question

I just picked up a JVC TM-H150CG and was surprised to see that there isn't a picture width/height adjustment (just position).

I'm seeing about a 1/4" black band around the picture (appears to be larger on the vertical side) to which I'm not used to seeing. My Sony monitors either let me correct this or do not exhibit this behavior to begin with. It looks like it isn't doing the normal overscan to fill the picture.

Even when hitting the underscan button, the black bands remain the same.

I've also tried multiple video sources just to make sure I wasn't feeding something that wasn't "standard".

Before taking the monitor back for an exchange or voiding my warrenty by manually adjusting it, I wanted to find out if other users of this monitor see the same.

Thanks

Last edited by Alan Scott; March 19th, 2006 at 09:42 PM.
Alan Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I won't know for sure a few weeks...that's when mine arrives, but...

Maybe the actual viewing area is masked off (electronically, or otherwise) to keep the picture away from the curved edges and more toward the flatter part of the screen?
Daniel J. Wojcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Tourist

I guess that is the question, if it's intentional or not?

Please let me know what you find when your screen arrives.

The bezel does overlap the tube and the specs indicate a "15 inch screen / 14 inch viewable" so assume the overscan would be taking care of this. I wasn't expecting to see any masking from my side of the screen.

I've been using tube monitors for video (albeit mainly Sony) for quite awhile and haven't come across a production monitor tunned like this. Could be a JVC thing though.

I like everything else about the monitor, just wish I could tune this from the outside.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:01 AM   #4
Wrangler

I have a JVC DT-V2000SU HD monitor and while the overscan function is annoyingly buried in a menu, it behaves the same as other Sony monitors I've had.

When in underscan mode it allows me to set position and size...when in overscan the menu choices for those things disappear.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:30 AM   #5
Tourist

Thank you for the tip.
It doesn't appear to be an option on this model though.
At least not documented anyway.

There are two menus accessed via by just the menu button or menu+chroma buttons together. There are no sub-menus on the available options.

This is with underscan selected as well.

I've gone through the docs a few times and there is no reference to geometery or overscan options. But maybe there is a "hidden" maintenance mode for these types of adjustments.

Last edited by Alan Scott; March 23rd, 2006 at 02:59 AM.
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

OK. Just got mine today. It also has the margin when underscanning. SO I guess it's normal.

But...WHEEEEEEEE! I finally can color correct so everyone doesn't turn out looking like Bozo. :)
Old March 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #7
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel J. Wojcik
But...WHEEEEEEEE! I finally can color correct so everyone doesn't turn out looking like Bozo. :)

Oh yes . . .oh yes . . I read this thread on a break away from staring at my JVC 15 - good init?!?!?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
Oh yes . . .oh yes . . I read this thread on a break away from staring at my JVC 15 - good init?!?!?

Grazie
Certainly better than my dying PVM-2010QM. That one, I have to hit a few times unless I want "green only". Well, it cost me $10, so I can't complain too much.

The JVC is much nicer. Now I just need an editing station...instead of the horribly jumbled jungle that is "my" room.
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:54 AM   #9
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel J. Wojcik
OK. Just got mine today. It also has the margin when underscanning. SO I guess it's normal.
Not during underscan, but normal operation.

There's a black gap between the bezel (frame) and actual picture.
You can even see it when the unit is off, so it's part of the picture tube.

It's un-even on the left hand side between top and bottom.
Goes from 5mm between bezel and picture at the top to 2mm mid way down.

Normally the bezel on most monitors would cover this part up all the way around.

The guy in the store saw what I was talking about and swapped the monitor for another one. Same thing.

Anyway, love the picture but this part bugs me.
I'll get over it.
Alan Scott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software