HDTV's for monitoring 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 27th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Tourist

HDTV's for monitoring 24p

I recently bought a nice LCD HDTV and it worked great at 720p and 1080i go give me a very good monitor while shooting HD. However, it would not work on 24p material.

While the old school would insist on a pro HD monitor that costs as much as my car, I am looking for a low budget solution.

So, do any of you know of commerically available and affordable small HDTV's that can accept a variety of frame rates, including 24p for 720???
Richard Riehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #2

Any computer monitor, LCD panel can manage 24p, and virtually all newer LCD's will work for 24p. Worked just this morning where they had a village of 5 monitors using a component in/DVI out to DVI split system, working 24p from the JVC. Looked great. All monitors were DVI input, 2 were a 1900 x 1200 being fed 720, which was a tad blocky, but the three lower rez monitors were great.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Which LCDs were they, Spot?

BTW, I love the new Westinghouse Digital LCDs! www.westinghousedigital.com

heath
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #4

The smaller ones were KDM's, available at Walmart. One of the bigger ones for the director was an Apple Cinema, and the other was a Toshiba, don't know the model.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Interesting. Thoughts on this:

http://polaroid.com/global/detail.js...bmLocale=en_US

hwm
Old March 28th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The lcd displays from Spectre (Naga 37" and 42") accept a 1080p signal via component or dvi/hdmi (thats right, you can use them as 1080p computer monitors). The picture quality is getting good reviews too. 8ms response time.

the 37" is selling at around 1500.00 from Amazon via TigerDirect or Costco online.

Lots of people over at the avsforum like them, very few do not, and that place has no mercry when it comes to reviewing stuff.

The recently released 42" is selling like hotcakes.

both have built in hdcp so in theory owners should get maximum reslution from High Def sources.
Old March 28th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

I wonder if the Spectre 37 and 42 in. 1080p LCDs are made by the same company that makes Westinghouse Digital's 1080p LCDs of the same size.

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/c...-monitors.aspx

hwm
Old March 29th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The 37 inch models sound similar, but the 42" models do not.
Spectre has moved all the connectors to an external box which then routes them to a single cable connected to the back of the panel.
Not sure how this will affect picture quality, but not having to go behind the panel to connect dvi, hdmi or analog cables sounds nice. For studio use that could be a great option.

btw it's Sceptre not spectre. I get so confused sometimes.
Old March 29th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Which makes me think, does sceptre and westinghouse digital make the same TVs, or buy them from another manufacturer?

heath
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:46 AM   #10
Inner Circle

They probably buy the actual lcd panel from the same manufacturer then add their own features. You could probably say that about a lot of the second tier sellers.
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #11
New Boot

SHarp Aquos and Blue-Ray

This is very interesting. I recently purchased a Sharp Aquos model LC42D62U.http://www.sharp.ca/products/index.asp?cat=30&id=661

I also purchased a Sony Blu-ray player model BDP-S300 http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665088000

I bought this combination to enjoy 24p footage from my camera and on Blu-ray. Much to my disappointment, even thought the player has a setting to output 24p the TV does not recognize it. If I set the player to "auto" it works but it looks as thought is changes the format. I have yet to burn my own Blu-ray disc or test it out of my editing suite but I would love it if someone could help me make sense of this.

I ask because I am also looking for a monitor for my editing suite and I find it odd that these lower end model allegedly play 24p with ease whereas my Aquos does not.

Thanks for your help.
Marc Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Marc.......

Interesting problem.

I'm assuming you were using the HDMI connection on both units (as the Sony won't O/P 1080p on anything else). If so it could well be the good 'ol "Not all TV's may be compatible......." cop out on page 10 of the Sony's user manual.

A good test to see whether it's the TV or the BD player would be to hook the Aquos DVI port to your NLE DVI port and squirt some 24p at it on that. [Interestingly the Aquos also accepts 1080p on it's Component ports (novel)]

Else a Canon HV20 using HDMI or anything else you have that O/P's 24p.

If you Google "HDMI Connection problem" you'll get buried alive in the response.

Gee, but that's one nice looking telly!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software