DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   HD LCD Editing Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/64603-hd-lcd-editing-monitor.html)

John K. Anderson April 7th, 2006 08:42 PM

HD LCD Editing Monitor

I'm looking for a HD LCD monitor and need some recommendations. I am leaning towards the Acer Ferrari F-20 1680 x 1050 800:1 monitor. I just love the CrystalBrite screen. What else is better in the 20 - 24" range. Other better units with CrystalBrite? Any feedback and experience is appreciated.

Craig Chartier April 7th, 2006 08:46 PM

TV logic, Panavision uses their larger 24,48 inch panels with the Genesis system. I was able to see the 17,14,8 inch as well. very good, these are my next units for sure.

Jocelyn Deguise April 8th, 2006 08:27 AM

My suggestion...

Gateway's FPD2185W. I bought it yesterday.

It's 21 inches, it has VGS, DVI, composite, s-video and component HD inputs. You can use all five inputs at the same time: hooking up two computers , your camcorder, etc... and picture-in-picture allows you to monitor one source while working on another.

Resolution is 1680X1050. I watched scenes from T2 and Underworld in HD on the monitor and the picture is stunning. My HDV images look superb on this screen. I'm shooting tomorrow and I'll use it as my main HD monitor during the shoot. Working with Premiere Pro at maximum resolution gives you plenty of space for everything.

A superb monitor for 800$ canadian. Well worth the price.

Also, Costco.ca has the Dell 24 inch for 979$ canadian. Another great monitor with full HD resolution: 1920X1080.

John K. Anderson April 8th, 2006 08:17 PM

Acer Al2416WD

Thank you for the suggestions so far. Does anyone have any feedback on the Acer AL2416WD widescreen model 1920 x 1200 500 cd/ml 1000:1 .27 6m gray to gray ChristalBrite.

Yi Fong Yu April 11th, 2006 12:51 PM

what's your application? just watch movies or edit HD?

i'm assuming you want to edit HD since you posted the question here. in that case this is the only display you should be buying:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...gen&redirect=1

if not, then get the westinghouse displays:
http://www.westinghousedigital.com/c...-monitors.aspx

Graham Hickling April 11th, 2006 02:54 PM

The Dell 3007WFP? - oh puh-leeze!

Much more cost effective to go for a dualscreen setup, with pixel for pixel HD on one of them....

John K. Anderson April 12th, 2006 07:02 PM

I checked out the Dell 30" but I think the size might be too large. Plus pricey. Still thinking of the black Acer Ferarri F-20 widescreen. In the 20" size range and 585.00 I don't think you can beat this one. Ideally looking for a 24" but can't seem to narrow down on one. The Dell 2405 has its problems that have been posted on the forum and the Acer AL2416WD is their 'value' silver color monitor rated as good but ugly. 'value' concerns me. Finding good monitors in a store to view is next to impossible and therefor you have to rely on test reports and forum experiences to help.

Webb Pickersgill April 29th, 2006 01:00 AM

FYI: The Dell 2405 24" widescreen LCD is on sale for just $850 until 5/3/06.

Chris M. Watson May 6th, 2006 04:07 PM

Don't know if this will cut it or not but it works for me and the price is right.

http://store.yahoo.com/saveateaglest...7w221-v22.html

I believe the resolution is only 720P but for day to day editing it works fine for me. Good luck.

Chris Watson
Watson Videography
www.dynamovideo.com

Jack Foster May 11th, 2006 05:46 PM

monitor inputs

Hi
I have a 32 inch HD LCD I got at a very good price. I was using the component inputs to view HDV tapes from my HD100.
For a while I though the camera wasn't focusing properly and I almost returned it. It wasn't until I digitized the footage into my NLE, cut it up and exported it as an mt2 file and played in Wiindows media player did I realize that there was nothing wrong with the camera, the moitors component inputs just did not do a good job of display wide shots with lots of detail. The same shots, on the same monitor but played on Windows Media player looked great. Eventually I'll get a small HD monitor for field work but not sure what.
Jack

Dean Sensui May 12th, 2006 06:01 PM

I've been doing some research into what monitor to get, and depending on your needs and budget, the answer varies. I've been emailing some people who are well-versed on the subject, and what I'm finding out isn't too encouraging.

For accurate assesment of the video, as in knowing how sharp it is and if there's any unwanted artifacting going on, the ideal solution would be one that provided a pixel-for-pixel display of the video. Something like Blackmagic's HDLink, eCinema or AJA's HDP will do this in conjunction with an Apple Cinema display, HP's and Dell's 23" LCD computer displays, or similar LCD monitor that has a 1920x1080 pixel resolution.

The reports I've read stated that these solutions are absolutely the best at displaying the image and giving a true assessment of sharpness and compression results.

LCD TV's, plasmas and, and almost all HD CRT's, are pretty much 720p resolution. None have the 1920x1080 pixel count of computer LCD displays.

There are no LCD displays that have the color characteristics of CRT's. CRT's have blacker blacks and much greater contrast ratios. LCD's have contrast ratios ranging from roughly 300:1 to as much as 1300:1. CRT's have contrast ratios about 10 times greater.

Some will say (and these are expert opinons by the way) that LCD technology is pretty darn good. That it gets really close to CRT performance. It might be ok for some applications, but for critical color there's just not enough confidence in LCD's to provide truly trustworthy image quality.

The work-around is to do all critical detail work on LCD's, then do the final critical color work on CRT's -- if you can afford having both and have the space for all of this hardware.

With that in mind, it was also mentioned that almost all HD is seen on LCD's. So why bother with a CRT? Well, the fly in that ointment is the pending release of SED displays which are supposed to have the same colorimetric characteristics of CRT's, or better.

The perfect answer? One that provides accurate monitoring at a reasonable cost?

Dunno. If anyone figures that one out, please let me know!!

Matt Trubac May 13th, 2006 06:32 AM

I'm working with Final Cut Pro 5, so my plan is to use the new Matrox MXO with a 23" Apple Cinema Display to monitor HD. It won't be the most accurate setup, but it should be close, and it is semi-affordable. MXO is due to be released in June.

Paul Lohbauer May 16th, 2006 10:09 AM

I have FCP Studio and will use the Matrox MXO to connect to a Dell 2005FPW, 20 inch monitor.

Matt Trubac May 16th, 2006 11:59 AM

If you are editing 1080 HD footage (and want a full resolution preview) you might want to consider an lcd with 1920x1200 pixels. 1080 footage is 1920x1080 pixels.

look at the dell 2407. They run great deals on it all the time. I have seen it go for less than $700.00 shipped.

Yi Fong Yu May 16th, 2006 12:47 PM

matt, i believe you mean the 2405. 2407 is now out yet (as of time of this post). 2407 has HDCP and 2405 doesn't.