HD monitors or HDTV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 25th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD monitors or HDTV

I've read all the previous post from the last year regarding hd monitor . And I'm kind of confused. I have a Samsung 19" Syncmaster as my primary monitor. But, I'm looking for an HDTV for preview. It seems as though most people use a computer monitor to preview their HD instead of an HDTV. I would really like to stay with an HDTV then a computer monitor. I guess my question is. Who use HDTV to preview? And what brand model you use? I would like to get the Dell LCD W1900. It's a refurb from Dell but a good price for $400 and free shipping. Does anyone use this TV beside Shannon.

TIA,
Ray

I was just looking at this, Westinghouse LTV-19W6 with 1440 x 900 compare to Dell W1900 1280 x 768 for about the same price. Would the Westinghouse be alot better?

Last edited by Ray Saavedra; May 25th, 2006 at 04:55 PM.
Ray Saavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I use a Pioneer 50" Plasma HDTV for playing back HD clips I've downloaded from the net but since I don't have an HD camera, I've yet to try and use it as a production monitor.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Dell at that price. Even for experimenting with.

From what I can tell, you'd want a production monitor for post work, but then again, you have to consider that hardly anyone will have a perfectly tuned TV (HD or not) and it may look good on the production monitor but not the TV. This is unfortunately a vice-versa situation as an improperly configured HDTV can flub you up too. I'm personally waiting for the 26" Panasonic LCD production monitor and seeing how that goes so I can have the best of both worlds. For post and on the go, I'd go with a production LCD, but I would try to have a regular HDTV to test it on as well when the project is finished. Another option is to just go to your local Circuit City or something and try playing a few minutes of your footage on one of their TV's, of course you should ask them about doing that first so you don't have them braking bottles at you when you try to plug cables into their TV's. =)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software