DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   TV Monitor Support (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/69040-tv-monitor-support.html)

Lucinda Luvaas June 6th, 2006 09:30 PM

TV Monitor Support

I have a Canon XL2 and also a JVC color video monitor which I'm using in post production, but also want to use while filming next week. I'll be outside and inside. I'll connect the JVC to my XL2 and this will be a big help. The only thing is I've been having some difficulty locating a stand with wheels for my video monitor. I found utility carts with two racks that are inset, about 3.5 inches deep and this seems fine. Does anyone have any other suggestions in terms of what can be used that's sturdy and safe for the video monitor? I want something with wheels so my assistant can be moving along with me when I do move the camcorder. I've thought of trying to build something, but wonder if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks so much once again for any suggestions.

Lucinda Luvaas June 19th, 2006 09:54 PM

Well, I guess I'll have to reply to myself here! I know there are people in this forum that use video monitors in the field....and no one can say anything?! Anyway: I found a cart at Harbor Freight for my video monitor and used that today..a bit wobbley and I know I can work on that to customize it, but it works fine. However, I get glare on the monitor and that's even turned away from sun at 4pm in the afternoon, I see reflections and such, so I have to find that sweet spot where I can get a good view. It has been a big help, using the video monitor while shooting. Now I can really see the shots! but, I'm wondering what people do about reflections and glare. I purchased the cine foil and that doesn't work completely and then we used a piece of luann to try to shield the monitor,...still not perfect...any suggestions?

Chris Barcellos June 19th, 2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucinda Luvaas
Well, I guess I'll have to reply to myself here! I know there are people in this forum that use video monitors in the field....and no one can say anything?! Anyway: I found a cart at Harbor Freight for my video monitor and used that today..a bit wobbley and I know I can work on that to customize it, but it works fine. However, I get glare on the monitor and that's even turned away from sun at 4pm in the afternoon, I see reflections and such, so I have to find that sweet spot where I can get a good view. It has been a big help, using the video monitor while shooting. Now I can really see the shots! but, I'm wondering what people do about reflections and glare. I purchased the cine foil and that doesn't work completely and then we used a piece of luann to try to shield the monitor,...still not perfect...any suggestions?

I've given some thought to this, but haven't been in a position that I really needed to do something yet. I had considered an black drape just like the old Matthew Brady photogs had used. Option 2 was a box around the monitor with a slot for goggle like viewer to see the monitor. One of these days when I need it, I'll be giving it a go.

Hugh DiMauro June 20th, 2006 08:27 AM

Here's what I did:

I took a cardboard box big enough to cover the monitor and then some, and cut out the bottom and one side. Then I glued black cloth to the inside and placed it over the monitor in such a way that it shields it from the light. By the way, I use a metal cart exactly like the one you described. It was a food cart purchased at my local Sam's Club.

Lucinda Luvaas June 21st, 2006 12:27 PM

Thanks Hugh! I'll give this a try. I did buy a 25' SVHS cable for my XL2 so that I could put the video monitor in the shade, however, this sounds better. My red cart doesn't have really large wheels and I did investigate the restaurant utility carts. How are the wheels on yours? I don't want to rebuild the cart I purchased...it's too hot to even think about such things right now! but, I was just wondering how the rest. utility carts stand up to a hardware type purchased at a place like Harbor Freight?

Another issue on the same sort of subject is that I made a round stand on one of those things mechanics use to get under cars...and got that at Harbor Freight as well.....well I got a piece of round particle board, large enough to fit my tripod and bolted that all together in order to move with my cam, but the wheels are too small and I get way too much vibration. Someone mentioned that I could use bicycle wheels, or wheelbarrow wheels, so that the cam would have a much smoother ride, but I wonder if there's an item out there that isn't too costly that would have less vibration when you're moving?

I'm using this in my yard right now. Just wanted to be able to move with the subject at times, move slowly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much, both of you for your help!!!!

Lucinda

Dean Sensui June 21st, 2006 01:59 PM

Someone modified their cart with pneumatic wheels, replacing the original hard rubber ones.

The cart rolled smoother that way, with a lot less vibration being transmitted to the gear on board.

A local TV station known for covering spot news had a portable microwave transmitter system placed on what looked like a standard janitorial cart. It was one of those that were moulded from fiber reinforced plastic and had a couple of shelves. Not sure what sort of wheels he had on it. This setup allowed the field crew to set up a camera without having to drag long cables back to the transmitter van.

Lucinda Luvaas June 21st, 2006 06:27 PM

Yes Dean, they sell those plastic carts and the metal ones at restaurant supply outlets. However, they didn't have the one I needed in stock when I checked so luckily, I was able to get a cart with two shelves, a metal one from Harbor Freight, a very good hardware supply. Pheumatical wheels? have any idea where you get those? I can google that and thanks.

As for the shade problem, how about an umbrella? would a smaller umbrella than a table or beach kind work? I'll try it. The cinefoil doesn't seem to work and that's what it's supposed to do: block reflections and light.

Chris Barcellos June 21st, 2006 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui
Someone modified their cart with pneumatic wheels, replacing the original hard rubber ones.

The problem with those is they always seem to lose air at in opportune times.
I'd stick non-air types, if possible.

Joe Barker June 21st, 2006 07:53 PM

Get one of the cheap hand trolly's with largish pnumatic tyres if you intend using it on rough or soft ground.If not, get one with the same diameter wheels but with solid tyres. These are the kind of trolly's parcel delivery guys use.Cut a peice of wood similar in size to the trolly's base platform,screw two shelf brackets onto the trolly uprights and attach the wood so that new platform is about a foot or more above the original base.Now fix something heavier than your moniter on the original trolly base to act as a counterweight.Make sure the weight is more than enough to ensure that the trolly will sit securly in its upright possition with the moniter in possition.Get a cardboard box,or adjust one to fit around your moniter.Paint the inside of the box matt black,slip it over the moniter and adjust it back from the sceen untill you have enough shade to be able to see the moniter clearly.Pick up a cheap fold up camper stool,the low ones are best,so you can sit on it and watch the moniter.When you move to another scene, slip the stool on the trolly counterweight and away you go.Cheap simple and effective.
By the way,the pnematic tyres pressures only need to be checked every couple of months.Its no great task to give them a few PSI with a bike pump.

Michael Pace June 21st, 2006 10:44 PM

DIY is good, but if time is tight and the budget has a little room, check out the purpose-built monitor shade solutions Hoodman offers:
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/broadcast.htm

there are others, Hoodman's pricepoints are good.

how you gonna power it?

Lucinda Luvaas June 21st, 2006 11:53 PM

Power the video monitor? from the XL2 with SVHS cables. I don't need the audio, just the video feed.

My question was about moving with the XL2...I read that you can use: what are they called? I always forget...the things guys go under cars with..so I built a platform on that and discovered as I said before that the wheels are too small and hard. The camcorder would be bouncing about and seasick, so I realized that I would need larger, softer wheels for impact. I'm moving about outside on a drive with gravel and dirt as well as on a large lawn with some ups and downs. I just wanted to be able to move once in a while with a subject who is moving, or I could be moving/filming as the subject is still. So, I wonder what would be an ingenious way, without being too high mechanical...to put something together? am I asking too much, to be able to put something together without being a master builder? I already built the platform with bolts, particle board big enough for my tripod and XL2 and wheels, so I'm not completely lacking in "handiness."

Lucinda Luvaas June 22nd, 2006 12:01 AM

Michael,

Hoodman is a little pricey, but the design is interesting. It looks as tho' the hood comes way out above and in front of the video monitor. I wonder if you took cinefoil and put it on the outside of a cardboard shape that mimics the hoodman design, wonder if that would work? I may try that. Thanks for another idea.