DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Setting monitor to HDTV spec (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/69547-setting-monitor-hdtv-spec.html)

John Jay June 14th, 2006 03:59 PM

Setting monitor to HDTV spec

I wish to set up my Toshiba Qosmio HDtoGo mobile high definition laptop to have the same gamma and colour profile as a standard HDTV LCD monitor.

It's powered by Nvidia so I have all the controls to achieve this. So what are the key Gamma and Profiles I need to tweak to achieve this.?

John Jay July 28th, 2006 05:36 AM

Thanks go out to JB for helping on this, now I can colour correct on the go without the need for an external monitor

http://www.scarse.org/goodies/profiles/

HDTV6522 is the icc to download which converts your computer monitor to HDTV spec. - just drop it into your system's color folder and select via monitor setup

Make sure your applications use this profile for previews eg After Effects NLEs etc

Everything is easy when you know how.

Glenn Chan July 28th, 2006 05:58 AM

I don't believe After Effects handles ICC color management.

Photoshop implements ICC color management and you can actually see the difference between profiles (the print film one is especially dramatic). This is what should be happening.

ICC color management is inappropriate for video since the performance is not there.

John Jay July 28th, 2006 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
I don't believe After Effects handles ICC color management.

Photoshop implements ICC color management and you can actually see the difference between profiles (the print film one is especially dramatic). This is what should be happening.

ICC color management is inappropriate for video since the performance is not there.

hummmm,

Straight from the horses mouth....

"To choose a working color space
If you don’t choose a working color space for a project, After Effects uses the color space of the monitor. For best results, choose a working color space that matches your output color space. For example, choose SDTV (Rec 601 NTSC) if you’re preparing footage for broadcast video, or choose sRGB IEC61966-2.1 if you’re preparing footage for the web. A good match between working and output color spaces not only lets you take advantage of the After Effects color management feature but also gives more accurate previews and somewhat more accurate results when linear blending is used (see To enable linear blending). Setting a working color space, however, can significantly slow RAM previews.
The color spaces available in After Effects vary based on the color profiles installed on your computer.
Choose File > Project Settings.
Choose a working color space from the Working Space menu.
Use the Color Profile Converter effect to convert a layer from one color space to another. For example, apply the Color Profile Converter effect to an adjustment layer at the top of a composition to convert output to a different color space. (See Color Profile Converter effect.)"

and in case question use HDTV6522

Glenn Chan July 28th, 2006 09:42 PM

Hmm I didn't follow AE too closely. It seems that this is a new feature in AE.

I wonder what the performance is like... I don't think the print world cared that much about performance as ICC color management was developed. A video application might use 3D LUTs with low bit-depth to get good performance... i.e. even Photoshop does this in its conversions in and out of LAB color space, resulting in minor/insignificant quantitization error (see Bruce Lindebloom's site for info).

2- You do have to profile your monitor, unless the color of its primaries (R/G/B) follows the right video standard (Rec. 709, SMPTE C, or EBU).

3- The standard white points usually follow the daylight-series illuminants, which are slightly greener than the kelvin scale for black body radiators.
D65 (the standard for Rec. 709) isn't the same color as 6500K. Hopefully that color profile is using the right white point.

4- Ok so that was mostly all just theory. A test would figure out if your monitor had accurate color... i.e. setup two monitors and see if the colors look similar. Also output a DVD into a broadcast monitor, and see if the computer monitors match the broadcast monitor.