DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Broadcast monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/70303-broadcast-monitor.html)

Spike Spiegel June 26th, 2006 03:10 PM

Broadcast monitor

I'm confused about monitors.... Especially the broadcast spec monitors... How are they different than a LCD monitor that can do 1920 resolution? If I am editing my HD videos on the 24" LCD, isn't that enough for monitoring the footage? Where and how would the broadcast monitor come in, and what are it's added purpose? I hope this makes sense...

David Tamés June 26th, 2006 04:06 PM

The simple answer is that consumer LCD monitors can't do two basic things than professional CRTs can do: (1) reproduce accurate color so you can count on the fact that what you see during color-correction is a reasonable reference you can count on, and (2) professional CRT displays can reproduce real black while LCDs can only display milky black.

Now the gap is starting to narrow between professional LCD and professional CRT displays, but at the moment, there's nothing as beautiful (or expensive) as a Sony BVM series CRT montor for color correcting, or the PVM series for those of us who can't quite afford the BVM series. As CRTs are being phased out, the industry has been delivering better and better LCD displays.

For editing there is nothing wrong in using any display you want... but for the final color correction session, it really should be done with a good reference monitor that has been properly calibrated under the right lighting conditions. For example, the Apple Cinema displays I edit with are gorgeous to look at... but for final color correction I work with monitors like the Sony PVM-20L5, it's a reference standard I can count on.

Now that Sony is phasing out CRTs, they suggest using the LMD-210S as a replacement for the PVM-20L5, it's close, but it's not quite the PVM-20L5, on the other hand, it's close enough. The purists still pine for better blacks, but environmental concerns and economics are driving the move to LCDs accross the board in both consumer and professional applications.

Spike Spiegel June 26th, 2006 04:10 PM

thanks David, that clears out a lot of question. My next question is what 24" LCD would you rec ommend fot HD editing related work...
i have checked out the Dell 2407 and the samsung syncmaster 244T... My budget is really flexible for a 24" inch LCD so if there is anything higher end, please do tell! Thanks again

Spike Spiegel June 26th, 2006 04:17 PM

Also, wanted to ask this, would you th ink a combo of the 24" from Dell and the PVM-14L5 from Sony with a BKM-143HS HD-SDI INPUT ADAPTER would pretty much take care of all HD editing/ref/monitoring needs in post?

David Tamés June 27th, 2006 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel
would you think a combo of the 24" from Dell and the PVM-14L5 from Sony with a BKM-143HS HD-SDI INPUT ADAPTER would pretty much take care of all HD editing/ref/monitoring needs in post?

It certainly would, though the PVM-14L5 has been phased out, so you have to be careful what you buy.

As far as the 24" from Dell, any LCD you like to look at is fine for editing, as you're not going to be making critical color decisions with it. I like both the image quality and good looks of the Apple Cinema Displays, I've not taken a close look at their competition lately.

By the way, while they don't have perfect black, I was impressed with the quality of the Panasonic 17” BT-LH1700W and 26” BT-LH2600W HD production quality monitors. And while the advice of many pros is "As long as a monitor uses SMPTE-C phosphors, you're OK" these monitors do a great job of being the next best thing, at least as far as LCDs go.