DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   On-board HD monitor solutions for JVC-HD100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/70725-board-hd-monitor-solutions-jvc-hd100.html)

Keith Gruchala July 2nd, 2006 06:50 PM

On-board HD monitor solutions for JVC-HD100

I own a few systems and was frustrated by the fact that a decent HD monitor costs upwards of $1400 so I did a bit of reserch and built an interesting solution which I'm about to offer for $900. Here are the details and I'm wondering if there is anyone out there interested in such a set up and whether it would be worth my time to build them since it requires modifying circuit boards of commercially available pieces;

Req'd aftermarket gear for system to work- Anton bauer or IDX block battery converter with power-tap capable aux. power output.

The System:
A lightweight box that side mounts to the Aux battery mount on the camera. This box takes a component 480i/480p/720p/1080p and makes two VGA type monitor outputs as well as having a flow through component capability to send the untouched component signals to a directors/field HD monitor so that both monitors can function at the same time and be HD. A 7" 16X9 super bright LCD monitor is then attached to this box via the VGA cable and with built-in image scaling the original signal is converted to 800X480 native screen resolution (same as cheapest HD Marshall monitor). This res. is definitely good enough to pull focus off of and judge composition as the image is scaled pixel for pixel so actually it is an "underscanned" type of image appearing on the 7" 16X9. All of this is powered off the on-board battery and in fact with a longer VGA cable, it can be used as a directors field monitor for run and gun situations.
Included in system:
HD>VGA conversion box. Brackets for mounting to battery mount. 7" 16X9 super bright LCD monitor with built in scaling -480p/720p/1080p capable. 1/4" thread on bottom of monitor + desk mount and 12v cigarette lighter power adapter as well as AC adapter. 4 ft Vga cable, Power tap splitter, separate power cables for monitor and box, 8" short RCA Component to component cable- basically everything you'd need in the field except an articulated mounting arm/bracket and sunshade.
Drawbacks of system:
It is currently not color accurate and color bars cannot be fully corrected and relied upon- there is a phase variance towards green. I'm currently researching and open to comments regarding fixing this as the monitor does not have fine enough hue adjustment to correct.
I can post pictures of the system if any real interest is generated by the description or if you e-mail me at morpheusfilm@hotmail.com I can send them to you.

Chris Hurd July 2nd, 2006 06:58 PM

Excellent post, Keith. Please email the photos to me -- chris at dvinfo dot net -- and I'll post them here. Thanks in advance,

Keith Gruchala July 11th, 2006 08:37 PM

Chris- Did you get the jpg updated pics?

Dear Chris- Had a few responses and told them the pics would most likely post here- did you receive them?