DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Apple 30" Vs. Cintiq (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/71686-apple-30-vs-cintiq.html)

Brian Langeman July 17th, 2006 09:25 PM

Apple 30" Vs. Cintiq

Hello everyone,

I am about to purchase a new mac system, and am not sure which route to go at the moment. I have the option of getting 2 30" Apple HD displays, or I was thinking about possibly getting a Wacom Cintiq as the second display instead. It would be a smaller screen at 21", but that still isn't really THAT small either. I'm thinking it would help increase the speed for things like rotoscoping and compositing, it would also come in handy with Maya too. I'm looking for any suggestions you guys might have, and if it's possible to use the Cintiq as the second display also.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ari Shomair July 17th, 2006 11:08 PM

You may want to consider Dell's offerings, they tend to be more affordable than the apple variety.

Brian Langeman July 18th, 2006 10:38 AM

I'm already set on buying an Apple system. So I'm only considering the 2 30" displays, or 1 30" Apple HD display as the primary, and a Wacom Cintiq 21" for the secondary. It would be for things like rotoscoping, or photoshopping, and all sorts of other uses that I can think of.

I don't know why I'd switch to Dell when I'm already familiar with Final Cut Pro, which isn't available on Windows. Also, the Final Cut Studio package along with Shake, which is now ridiculously cheap, seems like an amazing combination, which I'll also be getting.

Basically, I was just wondering if there were particular advantages by going with 2 30" displays, or 1 and the Cintiq, which seems like a really sweet tool in itself.

Ari Shomair July 18th, 2006 11:06 AM

Maybe I wasn't clear - just use dell monitors, not dell computers. When you buy an Apple LCD screen, many times you are basically paying a 10-30% premium for that tiny apple which appears on the rim of the monitor, as there are only a limited number of manufacturers which produce large size high-def LCD Panels.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400

Tommy Haupfear July 21st, 2006 11:33 AM

I just received my Dell 24" monitor today for $703 with free shipping. Its the 2407wfp and has 1900x1200 resolution with HD component video inputs for my HD cam.

Ari Shomair July 21st, 2006 05:39 PM

That's my point - what's the 23" apple cinema display going for these days from apple.com, like 1,299.00 USD?

Tommy Haupfear July 21st, 2006 05:51 PM

Does the Apple displays allow for a HD component video connection? That was a big "must" for me in getting the Dell.

Brian Langeman July 21st, 2006 10:44 PM

Thanks for all the advice. But really I'm wondering if getting the Wacom Cintiq 21" is worth the lower resolution and desktop space, or if it even works as the second display. If anyone knows anything about that it would be greatly apreciated.

Gints Klimanis July 22nd, 2006 01:59 AM

The Apple and Dell panels may not always be the same. The Apple 23" is an S-IPS panel, but I've read that the new Dell 2007 and 2407's are now S-PVA. Also, I've read that many have calibration troubles with the new Dell offerings.

You have to hand it to Dell. They've figured out that people really want text reading devices with larger screens and more pixels. This is similar to the drive for higher megapixel count on cell phones, digital cameras and camcorders. Though, what you really want is better light sensitivity for all of those.

Patrick Moreau July 22nd, 2006 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Langeman
Thanks for all the advice. But really I'm wondering if getting the Wacom Cintiq 21" is worth the lower resolution and desktop space, or if it even works as the second display. If anyone knows anything about that it would be greatly apreciated.

From what I've read, yes you can used the Cintiq as a second display, or as the main and run the apple as the second. Just keep in mind that if you mirror the displays, the 30" will only run at the resolution of the cintiq. As for the resoution difference, I would say yes it is noticeable, but having one 30" myself, I would opt for the Cintiq if I was getting another display as it has some great advantages that more resolution can't match, in my opinion.

Ash Greyson July 22nd, 2006 11:06 AM

If you play your cards right you can pick up the 2405 Dell for around $600 (check the Dell outlet). Not only is it cheaper but MANY people prefer the image to the Apple screens... I own 3 of the Dell 24" and 2 are used on Macs.

ash =o)

Patrick Moreau July 22nd, 2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
If you play your cards right you can pick up the 2405 Dell for around $600 (check the Dell outlet). Not only is it cheaper but MANY people prefer the image to the Apple screens... I own 3 of the Dell 24" and 2 are used on Macs.

ash =o)

I'm curious to know how many people actually read the whole thread, or even parts, before posting. I realze everybody is just trying to help but Brian has mentioned more than one that he wants an Apple monitor and that his questions are more related to the Cintiq yet nearly everybody wants to talk him into a Dell and debate about the differences between brands...

James McEachern July 22nd, 2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
I'm curious to know how many people actually read the whole thread, or even parts, before posting. I realze everybody is just trying to help but Brian has mentioned more than one that he wants an Apple monitor and that his questions are more related to the Cintiq yet nearly everybody wants to talk him into a Dell and debate about the differences between brands...

I'd say either grab 2 apple displays (cause they are the same res and they would be consistant) or this Cintiq. I really like the idea of a monitor that you can draw on, sounds like a great concept! In the end its getting what YOU want and what fits YOU best. A product here that everyone here reccomends might not fit you and thats ok! Its about you being happy with what you own! You're the one thats going to be using it! As for anything dell I don't own any of their products and I don't plan on buying any of them anytime. Why? Don't even get me started....

James

Boyd Ostroff July 23rd, 2006 07:19 AM

They have some interesting applications for Cintiq at Pixar:

http://preview.millimeter.com/mag/vi...ol_time_pixar/

Personally, I use an Intuitos graphics tablet for a lot of things and you really aren't taking full advantage of programs like Photoshop unless you have one. But the Cintiq seems really expensive and I'm not sure exactly why I'd need one or what new capabilities it would give me.

Ash Greyson July 23rd, 2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau

Because he can get 2 Dell Monitors for cheaper that actually look better =o)

ash =o)