Mounting the Marshall V-R70P-HDA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mounting the Marshall V-R70P-HDA

Just ordered the Marshall R-70 monitor with the v-dv-pwr1 battery adapter to use with the HD 100. I’ve read a handful of recommendations for the Noga 1105 mounting arm, but I'm still confused on best and safest way to mount it to the camera.

Is the hot shoe not strong enough to support the monitor, adapter and batteries? Is this best?

Is there an alternative that allows you to mount elsewhere on the camera?
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 04:27 PM   #2
New Boot

mounting options for marshall monitor

my reccomendation would be to try the mounting systems from Zacuto.
they give you lots of options for mounitng monitors hard disks etc
the only only thing is its another $500+.......
http://www.zacuto.com/
Paul
Paul Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 04:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the recommendation Paul. Looks like a useful addition for mounting a firestore, wireless, etc.

From what I can see it places the monitor into a strange position behind the camera and could be a problem for framing and limiting for a focus puller. I would prefer to keep the monitor attached to the center of the camera.

What is everyone else doing to mount their monitors?
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hd100 +marshall

i got mine mounted to the tripod , check it out .
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting the Marshall V-R70P-HDA-jvc-hd100-redrock-10.jpg  
S. Abdul Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #5
New Boot

Jamal - Where did you find the arm/bracket to mount the monitor to your tripod? I really like that set-up.

Thanks,

Law
Lawrence Hyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've tried every possible configuration of the Marshall with my Canon XLH1 and have the B&H Photo return shipping costs (for clamps, arms, etc.) to show for it. But the one that I"m now actually delighted to have found involves clamping the monitor to the handle of the Canon. Extremely stable and rock-solid, the clamp attachment arm allows movement in every direction (all positions can then be locked in place), and I can quickly take the camera + monitor off the tripod in one movement. Pics can be found at:

http://jupiter.math.msu.edu/~lamm/Canon

The relevant parts are all by Manfrotto and total $67:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...lue=313039_REG

BTW I tried a similar arrangement mounting the monitor to my tripod, but I wasn't happy with the results... with my particular tripod anyway. I tried this with 3 or 4 different arms & clamps. And I don't recommend attaching the monitor to the shoe -- you'll be nervous the entire time it's up there. Too easily dislodged, if you ask me.

Last edited by Patricia Lamm; August 6th, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #7
New Boot

Patricia - That is the most robust monitor mount I've seen, I like it.

Do you use it outdoors?

Which controls do you use for zoom and recording?

Thanks,

Law
Lawrence Hyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Hyland
Patricia - That is the most robust monitor mount I've seen, I like it.
Thanks, I can't recommend it highly enough. Last night I added an accessory to the hotshoe and it was very easy to loosen the tension on the Manfrotto arm so that I could reposition the monitor a few inches out of the way of the accessory.

I haven't used it outdoors yet.

All record buttons are still available -- if I want to use the button on the handle I just have to reach around or over the monitor. For zoom I either use the zoom ring on the lens itself (which is what I generally have been using when the camera is on sticks) or more frequently I use a lanc zoom controller that I have (which also has a record button).

Even though I never use them, I was surprised to find that I can still access the VCR controls on the handle since there's enough room under the clamp for the door to those controls to open. It's not easy to see which button is which -- I guess that would take some practice. But again, I don't use the VCR when filming anyway.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi,

I bought one of those Noga arms so I could connect my Marshall to my tripod but the arm's screw thread is not that same as the screw hole on my tripod head (a cheap 501 head).

Do better tripod heads have the 1/4-20 screw threading as standard?

Thanks

Chris
Chris Jothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Hyland
Jamal - Where did you find the arm/bracket to mount the monitor to your tripod? I really like that set-up.

Thanks,

Law
sorry for the late post but i got it from zgc (jason)
S. Abdul Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Mount using the Bogen manfrotto sliding base plate

Here is a link to a bogen product:
http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/m...egory_Code=4B2
This quick release has two side mounted threads- one 1/4" and one 3/8" which you can plug either the noga or Israeli arm into or by using ball head adapters from bogen or others and baby pin extensions (such as available at Film Tools in LA) you can make a pretty good set up that will also work hand held. This is an important advantage over the tripod mounts. What you do is mount this bogen quick release plate system onto what ever quick release comes with your tripod head, so it acts as a secondary plate/riser that you can just leave on, and when you want to go hand held it's as easy as just sliding it off as you would normally do. It's also kind of handy because you can offset the plate further to the rear on your head to account for very front heavy rigs such as the RedRock/ P+S
Keith Gruchala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software