Cinema Desktop with FCP and HD TV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 1st, 2006, 04:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Cinema Desktop with FCP and HD TV

Hi all,

I am wanting to use Cinema Desktop for full frame monitoring with Final Cut on either a 32" HDTV or something like a Dell 20" widescreen monitor. (Main timeline will be on my Dell 24") Does anyone know if the Dell 20" computer monitor is better or worse than an HDTV? My understanding is that the HDTV will have less resolution but do they show color and motion better than the dell? I guess I am trying to determine whether a computer screen LCD is more or less desireable that an LCD made as a television.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Wrangler

Just realize that whatever you use as a monitor, Digital Cinema Desktop doesn't show the full quality HD image. Therefore I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference what you plug into it. I think that will be your bottleneck instead of screen refresh rates or resolution.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:47 PM   #3
Major Player

It doesn't show full resolution? Do you mean it doesn't show 1920x1080? It shows the max resolution I set for the screen doesn't it? Say 1600x1000 for the dell and maybe 1366x766 (I don't know the numbers) for the HDTV..? Or does it reduce the resolution more than that for use in cinema desktop?

Thanks,
Scott
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:26 PM   #4
Wrangler

Digital Cinema Desktop takes some decoding shortcuts with 1080i material, and doesn't show it at full resolution. The size of the frame it shows is 1920x1080, but the pixels carried within are...softer, I guess you would say?

DCD is generally only good for showing a big version of what you see in the canvas window. It's not color accurate, and sometimes, as with 1080i material, it's not full res either.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 12:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Crap....So even if I wanted to kinda fudge it with color correcting I'm screwed this way....Lame! So what is the best and cheapest way to view my HDV edits at close to full frame and somehwat color accurate for color correction? I am using Final Cut on a G5 powermac.

Thanks,
Scott
Old September 2nd, 2006, 02:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama
Crap....So even if I wanted to kinda fudge it with color correcting I'm screwed this way....Lame! So what is the best and cheapest way to view my HDV edits at close to full frame and somehwat color accurate for color correction? I am using Final Cut on a G5 powermac.

Thanks,
Scott
What about the Matrox MXO?

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software