DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   connecting television set as my monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/75651-connecting-television-set-my-monitor.html)

Ryan Tate September 16th, 2006 07:48 PM

connecting television set as my monitor

im editing with final cut pro 4,
and im using my camera as my dv deck.
i am trying to connect my television to view my work as a monitor
does anyone know how to do this, or what i need to be able to connect it
i just want to be able to view it on the tv, while i work..
im not really using it for color correction or anything.
thanks

Matthew Lombardo September 16th, 2006 11:07 PM

I'm pretty sure connecting your tv to your video card is the only option. Depends on what connections your computer card and television have.

I have two 20 inch monitors I use when I use my vegas 6 that connect to my video card. I also have my 42 inch plasma I use to preview my work. I think that's what your trying to accomplish. I use a s-video cable to attach my plasma to my computer.

Hope this helps, it works for me.

Duane Burleson September 16th, 2006 11:16 PM

Connect your camera via firewire to the computer. Connect the video out (s-video, composite, component - whatever your camera has) to your TV. Put the camera in deck or vcr mode. Start your NLE program and the video should appear on the TV. There may be a setting within your NLE to activate this function.

Duane

Mark Utley September 17th, 2006 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Burleson
Connect your camera via firewire to the computer. Connect the video out (s-video, composite, component - whatever your camera has) to your TV. Put the camera in deck or vcr mode. Start your NLE program and the video should appear on the TV. There may be a setting within your NLE to activate this function.

That would work, but you'd sure log a lot of extra hours on your camera.

Chris Hocking September 17th, 2006 01:02 AM

Mark, surely just having a camera turned on will have no negative effect? It's not like the heads would be used?

Steve House September 17th, 2006 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Tate
im editing with final cut pro 4,
and im using my camera as my dv deck.
i am trying to connect my television to view my work as a monitor
does anyone know how to do this, or what i need to be able to connect it
i just want to be able to view it on the tv, while i work..
im not really using it for color correction or anything.
thanks

Another option is a bidirectional firewire A/D converter box such as those from Canopus or ADS. I have a Canopus ADVC-110 that works like a champ. Note: If you go this route you do need to make sure it's bidirectional - the lower-priced converters are one-way only, allowing you to capture DV from an analog source such as a VCR but they don't go the other way, converting DV back to analog for monitoring.

Boyd Ostroff September 17th, 2006 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Utley
That would work, but you'd sure log a lot of extra hours on your camera.

I really don't think that will be much of an issue. Like Chris said, you aren't putting any wear and tear on the mechanical parts. I've used my VX-2000 for this for extended periods and it's still going strong after 4 years.

However the only concern might be running the camera plugged into an A/C adaptor for long periods of time. We've seen reports here of camera that have been damage by line power spikes when connected to the power line. I always run my Z1 on battery power and use an external charger. Of course I'm just paranoid about this because the Z1 is a pretty expensive camera. :-)

Steve's suggestion is a good one too. You can get the ADS Pyro box pretty cheaply. Another possibility would be connecting a DVD recorder to your Mac via fireire and hooking a monitor up to that.