Sony PVM-14M4U question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony PVM-14M4U question

I use this same monitor at work and I've never had any problems with it, but I just picked one up to use at home as well, and I don't think it's working quite right.

When I turn it on, the white window at the top of the monitor lights up orange. I can't select any inputs or menus, and nothing seems to be working.

I don't have a manual, but I bought one online from manualscenter.com....but I have to wait 24 hours for it!

Just wondered if anyone knew why this light was coming on, and if it means something is wrong with the monitor.

I got it from my old boss, and it hasn't been used in awhile. This isn't an issue of getting ripped off or anything, I just want to know what is wrong with it.

Thanks for any help!! Especially if you can help before they email the link to the manual...I've got editing to do! :-)
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Wade,

That orange light is the Tally light. Normally when you first turn on the monitor it lights briefly and then goes out. As far as I know, the only other time it should be on is if the Remote terminal in the back is connected to a control console and that equipment turns on the Tally light like in a TV control room.

Since you also can't select inputs or menus, it sounds like your monitor might be kaput. But if it'll help, you can download the manual for the PVM-1354Q, which is basically identical to the PVM-14M4U except for a slightly lower resolution tube. Here's the manual:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...PVM1354Q&LOC=3
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the response Tim. I just ran into work and checked the one in my studio there, and that is a PVM-14M2U, not a 14M4U...I couldn't find a manual for it either. I turned it on, and the tally barely flickers for a second before the monitor comes on, then it stays off.

I downloaded that manual, but didn't see anything about the tally light staying on.

Maybe the service manual I'll be able to download tonight will tell me more.
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #4
New Boot

Same problem with my PVM-14M2U

I've had one of these monitors for about two years, I bought it used but in perfect condition (from a company that turned out to be doing 'adult' video - they shipped it to me in pink styrofoam peanuts...) Anyway, about two months ago, in the middle of editing as usual, with an image on the screen from the S-video input, the screen went black and the tally light turned on. There was no warning of any problem and the monitor had been treated very gently for over a year. Nothing lights up the screen, not the onscreen menu or the 'NTSC' text at powerup. Only tally light comes on at powerup. Sony wants me to ship it halfway across the country for expensive repairs. I took it to a local store and they narrowed it down to the "A board" (if that even exists), and said they needed to order the service manual from Sony for $120. I said no thanks and now will try to find the manual online. Have you had any luck with your problem, or have you learned anything about it?
Nathan Rulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Major Player

I spoke with a semi-local repair facility, and was told it is probably a power supply problem. I have not sent it off to them to be repaired yet, but I probably will when I get sick of it sitting around.
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software