Has anyone actually used the new Varizoom "hi-res" LCD monitors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Has anyone actually used the new Varizoom "hi-res" LCD monitors?

I am going to be buying an external monitor for my HVX, and while the Panny version looks great, at $4000 it is a bit tough for me to justify.

It seems that both the Marshall and the new (Swit) Varizoom monitors have the same 800 by 480 resolution, but it also seems that the Varizoom costs less AND has the wonderful feature of 180 flip for use with the Redrock M2 I just bought yesterday.

So, all things, considered, I think that the Varizoom seems like a good buy right now, but I'd feel a lot better if someone out there has actually used it or at least seen it (they are currently out of stock).

Are there any 720p monitors besides the Panny that I should look at? I can't imagine how anyone can call a 480 "hi res" in this day and age.

:-)

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I just checked the varizoom site, sounds great,
In terms of on camera monitor, I've only used the marshall 7'', which is OK,
Where did you see that it can flip the image?
e.
Eric Peltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #3
Major Player

You know. . . I don't know where I first heard about it, but I called Varizoom today and that's what they said. Something about pushing and HOLDING DOWN the + or - key for volume or another button.

I have emailed Varizoom to get final clarification, but that flippy action and a resolution equal to the Marshall (but unfortunately not 720p) make it look very attractive to me.

Stephen
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You bet, I'm also looking for a monitor that I can mount,
If that flip function is true, I'll get it.
let me know what you find out.
e.
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Major Player

I shall, indeed!

I want to be able to look at my new Redrock M2 footage the right way around!

(BTW, I just found a post on the DVXuser forum that talked about this very issue on a lower resolution monitor.)

If this flip function is real, it must be the least publicized valuable feature in the history of video monitors! Why on earth wouldn't Varizoom tout this on the website???

Very strange.

Stephen
Old November 29th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Pruitt
So, all things, considered, I think that the Varizoom seems like a good buy right now
I have a 7" Varizoom Monitor that came with the Prolite I bought a few months ago . . .

Quality?
Well, put it this way - send me the postage costs and you can have it!
(Complete garbage - I don't bother switching it on - just use it as a balance weight)

Andy
Andy Nickless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
If this flip function is real, it must be the least publicized valuable feature in the history of video monitors! Why on earth wouldn't Varizoom tout this on the website???
Flipping on LCD monitors is no big deal; my teleprompter came with a $100 Lilliput monitor that does image flipping.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Nickless
I have a 7" Varizoom Monitor that came with the Prolite I bought a few months ago . . .

Quality?
Well, put it this way - send me the postage costs and you can have it!
(Complete garbage - I don't bother switching it on - just use it as a balance weight)

Andy
Andy,
are you talking about the same monitor? the new SWIT ?
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #9
Major Player

Eric. . . Andy can't be talking about the same monitor because this one just came out and is a larger size (8") than the 7" monitor he is talking about. I have also seen several people comment on how much they recommend the Varizoom monitors, so perhaps his unit is a lemon.

As for the flipping function being no big deal, I'll bet all those people with Marshalls mounted upside down would beg to differ.

:-)

Stephen
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Eric. . . Andy can't be talking about the same monitor because this one just came out and is a larger size (8") than the 7" monitor he is talking about.
I can't find any ID on it apart from VariZoom - but it definitely came as 7" so (hopefully) its not the flipping one!

Andy
Andy Nickless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:08 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Here's the most compact 1920x1080 panel I've ever heard of.... http://www.sanyo-epson.com/e/newsroo...7_3/index.html

Dont' get too excited, it's just a 7.1" raw panel but I'm hoping some OEM outfit decides to package it with all the right options for on-camera use. Obviously there's economy of scale in LCD laptop grade displays vs the 'limited' opportunity afforded by field camera use but I'm hoping someone produces a decent LCD for less than the price of a camera.
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:26 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from HVX200 forum to SDTV / HDTV Video Monitors.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software