Best set up for editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 6th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #1
New Boot

Best set up for editing

Hi everyone, new to this thread.
Don't see anything covering just this subject, so:

First -
I'm currently using two 21 inch monitors as one desktop 2560X1024 pix.
I would like to get rid of my large center seam and change to a single wide lcd/plasma display with as good if not better resolution. Is one large display better than two smaller displays? What gets you more for your $$.

Second -
What is a good 16X9 monitor for looking at HD DV? I'm somewhat space limited, so 20 inch or less is necessary. This is not for camera work, but to monitor the output of my editor.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Lew
Lew Barger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Two monitors gets you more pixels for your $. If you are concerned about the bezel size, digitaltigers.com has a database somewhere listing the bezel sizes of common monitors. Personally I don't find the space between two monitors very distracting.

2- A broadcast monitor like the Sony PVM-14L5 (discontinued) would be the best monitor for HDV, although they are somewhat expensive and perhaps not what you had in mind. A broadcast monitor like that however will get you a very good representation of what your image does look like, which computer monitors and consumer TVs won't do.

If you're using Vegas, then using a computer monitor (with at least 1920X1080 pixels) as your preview device is a reasonably good choice for price/performance.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the info Glenn.

I suspect you are right, the thinner black bezel on the flat panel displays would be less distracting than the wide white borders on my present monitors.

I'm using the NewTek VT and it's only SD at the moment, but will soon be changing to SpeedEdit which will mix and match with my HD footage.

The monitor for the edit output will be more for client viewing, so I don't mind if it is a good representation of what they will see at home or work. It's sounding like a fairly inexpensive monitor/TV may do just what I need.

Are most of "Name" brands fairly much alike?
Lew Barger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software