DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Buzzing sound from new Gateway monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/82099-buzzing-sound-new-gateway-monitor.html)

Dave Lammey December 19th, 2006 02:35 PM

Buzzing sound from new Gateway monitor

Just got the FPD2485W 24" HD monitor from Gateway. So far seems like a great monitor except for this annoying electronic buzzing that emanates from the back grill ... anyone else notice this?

This is my first monitor over the 17" size, so maybe this noise comes with the larger monitors. Haven't decided yet whether it's a deal breaker or if it's something that will either go away or that I'll get used to. But I'm curious to see if anyone else has noticed this.

Tyson Perkins December 19th, 2006 05:05 PM

That is a known problem for the gateway monitors - http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1114872

It is going to be solved in the next udpate.

Dave Lammey December 19th, 2006 05:20 PM

Thanks ... I assume you mean there will be a firmware update? I tried skimming through that link you provided, but that has to be the longest thread in history and I couldn't find any mention of a buzzing noise ...

Boyd Ostroff December 19th, 2006 05:39 PM

No experience with the 24" screen, but I have their 21" widescreen LCD and there is no buzzing issue...

Peter Ferling December 19th, 2006 08:50 PM

No buzzing with my 22" either. Does the 24" have a cooling fan?

Dave Lammey December 20th, 2006 06:02 AM

Not sure if it has a cooling fan, but I don't think this sound is a fan, it's a high-pitched buzzing, just loud enough to be perceptible, like a small electronic cricket that won't shut up ... but apparently I'm not the only one who's noticed it with the 24" ...

Rene Thomas Folse December 31st, 2006 09:54 AM

No Buzzing Sound

I just purchased a new Gateway FPD2485W from a retail dealer in California yesterday. There is no sound of any kind, buzzing or otherwise. It is totally quiet. So the post below stating that they hear a buzzing sound seems to me to be an indication that the monitor is defective since mine does not have this (but may be later firmware since it is a newer shipment).

I am using an HDMI to DVI cable adapter and monitoring the HDMI output from my new Sony HVR-V1U on the Gateway. It looks great BTW.

I am not sure I understand 1:1 pixel mapping correctly. I bought the Gateway over the BenQ because of forum posts that the BenQ lacked 1:1 pixel mapping and that this was a big problem missing this feature to keep the aspect ratio right.

I had understood that this was needed to keep a monitor from stretching the image to 1920 x 1200 thus producing slight distortion. Without selecting 1:1 on the menu, the Gateway seems to adjust to 1:1 on its own as I have about a 3/8 inch black bar across the top and the bottom which would be about right for a 1080 image on a 1200 screen.

I had thought I needed to specifically select 1:1 off the Gateway menu to make this work. However, when I switch to this 1:1 menu choice I get a small image about 5" by 8" in the center of the screen. The Gateway documentation does not say much about what 1:1 does other than that the 1:1 choice "preserves the original aspect ratio". The HVR-V1U says the HDMI output should be 1080 default. 1:1 selection should therefore display an image clear across the screen of the Gateway, but it does not using the 1:1 setting (but does with the "auto" settings).

Does anyone have feedback on how to properly configure the Gateway with the HVR-V1U? I just got all of this equipment in the last two days and am up to my neck in manuals. The Gateway "auto" feature works fine, but maybe I am missing something that would make it work even better.

Rene

Boyd Ostroff December 31st, 2006 10:04 AM

Compare the image on the monitor using HDMI to the full frame as seen on your computer on camera in ALLSCAN mode. Does the monitor overscan (chop off the edges of the image)? If not then you are probably seeing a 1:1 image. But if it overscans then some scaling is taking place, either by the camera or the monitor.

Using the DVI input of my Gateway 21" I see the full image when connected to my Mac. However using the component video input connected to my Z1, the screen overscans somewhat.

Will be interested in hearing if you are able to calibrate that monitor anywhere within reason. Initially I thought the 21" screen looked very good, and it certainly works well for focusing with the Z1. But everything displays too dark on the 21" screen when using the component input, and after tweaking all the menus endlessly I've concluded that you can't get it right using component on the 21" screen. But the HDMI interface from the V1 might be a big improvement over the analog component on the Z1.

Rene Thomas Folse December 31st, 2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Will be interested in hearing if you are able to calibrate that monitor anywhere within reason. Initially I thought the 21" screen looked very good, and it certainly works well for focusing with the Z1. But everything displays too dark on the 21" screen when using the component input, and after tweaking all the menus endlessly I've concluded that you can't get it right using component on the 21" screen. But the HDMI interface from the V1 might be a big improvement over the analog component on the Z1.

Ok, I must admit I am new to this equipment. I have never gone about calibrating a monitor. I bought this one mostly for focusing in the field, if needed, and if not to just to use on my PC workstation. Can you give me some tips on how to calibrate? I would guess I would need maybe a hard copy of color bars that were accurate, and then send color bars to the monitor and attempt to make them match. This is just a guess. How did you attempt to calibrate your 21" an I will try and do the same thing with my 24".

Rene

Boyd Ostroff December 31st, 2006 09:54 PM

I didn't do anything very scientific, but was trying to get the brightness in the right ballpark - see the following: http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm

I can't get the 11.5 PLUGE bar to show without turning the monitor's contrast up too high. When the contrast is turned too high then bright areas of the image which are actually OK become blown on on the screen.

If I use the screen with FCP's Digital Cinema Desktop via the DVI interface then I can adjust it acceptably with the aid of Apple's monitor calibration control panel.

Bruce S. Yarock December 31st, 2006 11:43 PM

Does this monitor allow you to also view SD footage in 4:3? On th Best Buy page it says "16:9" and makes no mention of 4:3.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Dave Lammey January 2nd, 2007 08:55 AM

Yes, the monitor should play 4:3 material in that aspect ratio if the 1:1 setting is set. At least, mine does.