What am I seeing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 26th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Major Player

What am I seeing?

I have a Gateway 24-inch monitor, with 1920x1200 resolution. I have a Dell PC connected to it via VGA (my video card only handles up to 1600x1200, so that's what I have the Windows XP resolution set at), and a Sony HC1 camera connected via component.

HDV material played through the HC1 and the component look great, as do commercially produced (i.e. Hollywood) DVDs played on the PC's DVD drive. However, looking at SD DVD-R's that I've produced (shot with PD-170) played on the DVD drive, the picture shows prominent "jaggies" on anything that moves.

I'm assuming this has something to do with the monitor's inability to deal effectively with interlaced material, am I right? Is there any remedy?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Here's an interesting twist -- instead of playing the DVD from my computer's DVD-ROM drive, I hooked up a Sony DVD player to my Gateway monitor, and the picture was noticeably improved. Much less jaggies and interlacing artifacts. So why would the DVD player handle the same DVD better than a computer DVD drive? Must be some noise reduction feature, I guess.

BTW -- the DVD looks fantastic when played on a DVD player and shown on an SDTV.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Different DVD playing software will have different ways of deinterlacing. You could try a different software DVD player and see if it improves things.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks, I did try that and got slightly better results with a different brand of DVD playing software, but not as good as simply hooking up a DVD player to the monitor ... so I may just avoid playing SD DVDs on my computer's DVD drive in the future.
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Major Player

It's also a matter of the type of DVD you create -whether it be interlaced or progressive. As far as I know standard DVDs can only be formatted in the 60i or 24p categories. There is no real 30p since it is just frame-doubled within the 60i space. This is what I've heard and experienced anyway.

From what I’ve seen DVDs created in true 24p look far superior on computer monitors and even some HDTVs than do those created in 60i. Of course the difference is most visible when going from an HD source. From SD 24p and 60i sources it isn't as different.

I've learned to love true progressive and it's a shame you can't get it without having the 24fps frame rate.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software