Need SD/HD Monior for Final Cut system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 17th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need SD/HD Monitor for Final Cut system

Can anyone recommend an editing reference monitor that has both analog component inputs AND HD-SDI inputs?

We presently use Final Cut Pro for our editing system, and shoot 99.9% of everything on Betacam SP. We are about about to take the plunge into HD, probably starting with a Sony HVR-V1 camera, and a HVR-M25U deck.

We will NOT be able to make a clean break and simply stop using Betacam once we get the HDV gear, so we need our edit system to handle both analog component and HD.

I've looked at the Panasonic BH-2600W monitor. It has all of the connectivity we need, but I recently discovered that this monitor will not display the entire 1080i picture. You can "shift" the picture around to see the entire picture, but you can never see the full 1080 resolution at the same time.

Last edited by Tim Allison; January 17th, 2007 at 02:14 PM.
Tim Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Tim! Have a look at this thread. I believe the MXO will let you accurately monitor what you edit, and also give you SDI outputs.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83917
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

My only problem with this solution is.....

...the hardware real estate we're starting to use. We already have a dual monitor set-up for the Final Cut system, plus a Sony CRT to serve as our reference monitor for our Betcam editing. Will we now need to add another Apple monitor to serve as our HD reference monitor? If I understand these set-ups correctly, we will need one monitor for our SD (Betacam) projects, and another for our HDV projects.

Am I understanding you correctly on this?

Slight change of subject here....I just noticed that AJA has come out with their version of the Matrox MXO. It is the AJA H15, priced at $490 about half that of the MXO.
Tim Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Major Player

Unfortunately I don't think there is anyway to not have your suite look like the inside of a Best Buy w/o making sacrifices you may not want to make. I know some people use an HDTV/monitor to judge HD playback and still use a Sony CRT for color work. At least most HD monitors can be wall mounted so that can help out w/desktop real estate.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allison
I just noticed that AJA has come out with their version of the Matrox MXO. It is the AJA H15, priced at $490 about half that of the MXO.
Is this what you're talking about? http://www.aja.com/html/products_converters_HI5.html

That's the "Hi5", not the "H15".... I can't find an H15 on their site, sorry if this isn't what you were talking about. That product converts SDI to HDMI, which is something completely different from the MXO which converts the DVI output of your graphics card to SDI and gives you an accurate DVI monitor output.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software