1080i/p or wait? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 18th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #1
New Boot

1080i/p or wait?

I'm looking to get a HD monitor. But I'm wondering about the new 1080i or p models.

1) Is there much cable content that uses this format that would justify the cost?

2) How are normal HD shows presented on this higher resolution? Do they use a smaller part of the display? I really don't want to buy a 42" for instance, only to have most shows use a much smaller part of the display. Basically, does standard HD use the full screen, on a 1080i or p display?
Michael S. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I have Comcast HD cable. They have repeatedly stated that all of their content is 720p.

ABC, I understand, is 720p.

720p will use the full screen, it will be scaled to fit the screen.

On many HD sets, there is a "PIX Shape" or similiar control which allows you to manually adjust to differring input formats. Some adjustments will be automatic.

1080p sets cost more, but in general (in my opinion) are better sets. Others may disagree.

Most all sets, including 720p sets can handle 1080i signals.
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:33 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
720p will use the full screen, it will be scaled to fit the screen.
If it is scaled, does it look like it is of lower quality? Would 720P look better on a 1080p or 720p?

If everything (or most) is broadcast in 720p what is the advantage of getting a 1080i/p? I do have a Sony HDR-SR1 but don't know if that is reason enough to get the 1080i or p, at the higher cost.

Is there any preference in HD Plasma brands or rather ones to stay away from. I looked at a nice Panasonic (TH-50PX6U) this week and it's quite reasonable at around $2K and Sony's are nice but not sure about other options.

Or Plasma over LCD....

I think an HD is coming soon... :D

BTW, what is "CableCARD Ready"? The ones I have been looking at say they have built-in HDTV tuners so what is a CableCARD. Some that have HDTV tuners built-in say they are CableCARD ready and some are not. If they have built-in HDTV tuners, why is CableCARD even needed or is it?

Last edited by Michael S. Davis; January 21st, 2007 at 08:27 PM.
Michael S. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Major Player

IIRC CableCard is supposed to replace the set-top cable box so you just plug the cable coax directly into your TV and insert the card to get your cable service.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

With Comcast in our area, the cable card costs the same as the set top cable box, but you lose certain features with the cable card.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software