is Apple 23" the best solution??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:08 AM   #16
Inner Circle

After checking nVidia's latest driver list, apparently there is considerable support for HDV playback, various video decode acceleration and deinterlacing in WindowsXP .

http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

I tried the latest drivers on my dual GeForce 6200 card system (yeah, I have one in AGP and one in PCI for separate monitor color profiles on each DVI connector) , and they killed the machine for any WMV file playback. Freaky.

So, I guess I do need a better graphics card. If I upgrade to a ~$200 7-series nVidia card on my primary monitor, I hope the system doesn't die with a 6200 in the system.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies,
Every time I check, Apple monitors are just great, far more superior to the other ones that I can test in local electronic stores. (For instance, every 20” to 22” Samsung monitor that is displayed in stores shows less quality images than Apple.) And, I gotta agree with Lindsey, every time you switch the viewing angle colors either change or become completely dark. But as Gints mentioned, it’s very hard to see other pro monitors in stores. I haven’t been able to check 24” Samsung yet…
With NEC however I have few problems; one- pro versions are too pricy, two- most of them usually don’t go above 21”, and three- no wide screen models.(if there are any, I’m sure those are way above my price range)
So, it seems it’s Apple for me, so far…
Victor Burdiladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hey Victor,

The Apple Cinema models look fantastic, so ultimately you'll be pleased with your purchase. If the best possible colors, accurate calibration and actual screen-to-print matching is more important, you can spend twice as much per square inch with the NEC/Lacie monitors.

NEC does have some widescreen models that were supposed to be shipping in October 2006, but I've read that they just began shipping at the end of January 2007. The NEC 2490 and 2690 monitors have a wider color gamut, which would display more of the NTSC/Adobe RGB color space, of course, at the expense of accurary in the smaller sRGB color space.

Also, check your video card. I'm sad that my BFG nVidia 6200 and 7800 GS cards only go to 1600x1200 for 60 Hz and DVI.

List prices are :
2490WUXi $1450 1920x1200
2690WUXi $1750 1920x1200

http://www.nec-display-olutions.co.u...de-english.pdf
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Do you really need any more confusion??

Many interesting comments on the pro's and con's of the Apple 23. The early ones did have a color bleeding problem, but that was fixed in the latter series. I've had mine for just over a year, and swear by it (being great). It's bright, stable, off-center viewing is consistant, price is high, color accuracy is reliable (once set-up properly) although anyone knows to use a calibrated NTSC CRT for broadcast. Low power consumption,.......... the Apple 23 is perfect for my needs, and I wish I ran two! "Another vote for the Apple Victor"
Gary Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Jankis

I bought the new Dell 2407 for $650.

I'm sorry.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software