Apple Cinema 23" and monitor switcher? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 11th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Apple Cinema 23" and monitor switcher?

Hi:
I am operating a Mac G5 dual 2.7 ghz with an Apple Cinema 23 and an Ati Radion graphics card that is used for Photoshop, Poser 7 and currently, FCP 5.1.2. In addition, I have installed a Kona LH for SDI capture. Due to room constraints, I would like to avoid adding a second monitor for the Kona output and wonder if the following is possible and or workable:
1. AJA HDP HD-SDI/SDI to DVI-D converter to convert the LH's SDI output to DVI and connecting that to a monitor switch box.
2. KVH or similar monitor switch box that will allow the connection of two DVI devices (Mac G5 and Kona LH via the above converter) to the single monitor with actuation via a mechanical switch thereby allowing the use of Kona LH for capture to and output from FCP and the Mac's internal graphics card for software such as Photoshop?

Thank you in advance,
Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #2
Trustee

If you can at all have a jig around using a second monitor with the Kona will improve your edit suite no end. I have a 30 inch Apple as my main monitor and the 23" apple connected to my Kona Lh card using a blackmagic HD link box. Expensive but so good. Seeing full resolution real time output is one of the main plusses with the kona card. you can do what you suggest but i don't think it is a good idea.
Phil
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

LH and Monitor

Hi:

Thank you for your thoughts. My only reason for considering the switching concept was to conserve a degree of desktop real estate. After factoring in the expense, however, it seems hardly reasonable and I will most likely follow your suggestion. Although I love the Apple Cinema 23, the Kona DVI conversion device is rather costly and with that in mind, I am entertaining the possibilty of purchasing the Panasonic BTLH1700W, with its SDI, component inputs and then some. Do you have any experience with this monitor or have you heard any positive or negative comments?

Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software