Think I found a great cheap 800x480 7" tft pal/ntsc deal: mm400 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 6th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #31
Major Player

Piet, what camera do you have? If you have an SD camera, you will be fine using the composite output (the mm400 had a composite input).
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #32
Regular Crew

I'll be using the FX1 (so HDV)!!
Piet Deyaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #33
Major Player

Ok, then I think the mm400 will not work for you. Did you get the mayflash already? If you'd try it we would have a second opinion.
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet Deyaert View Post
If I won't need the mayflash, but just buy a cable s-video - VGA. Will that work on a regular monitor? (like my CRT or my mm400)
Piet, if you're using the FX-1, you want to use the red, blue and green colored cable that came with it to plug into the mayflash. It is the component cable, and there is a plug on the FX-1 for it where all the other connectors are for video out. From the mayflash, provided you hook up from component output, you can go to any CRT, LCD or TFT monitor.
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #35
Regular Crew

It's getting real confused in here :)

I borrow the FX1 for my short films, so I've never seen that cable. And the component output is s-video. So I need a cable that starts in s-video and on the end the three colors RCA jacks. Ok, where can I buy this cable?

Thanks! Sry for all the questions :)
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #36
Major Player

You got some things confused. S-video is NOT the same as component. Basically, for HDV cameras, its like this:

- composite: analog SD signal;
- S-video: analog SD signal, but bit cleaner than composite because of seperation of signals;
- component: analog HD signal. If you want to focus with HD, you will need at least this output;
- HDMI/SDI: digital HD signal

You cannot have a cable that goes from s-video to component, because they're different formats (SD vs HD) and different colorspaces.

Please look at the wikipedia-links in my previous post, it will get things a lot clearer!
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #37
Inner Circle

I got the FX1 and the mayflash.
Does somebody knows what is the minimum spec. for a LCD screen to work with ?
I tried with a 17" LCD Dell for computer (max 1280x1024) but it does not work.
would a 1600 x 1200 be ok , or do i need a 1920x1080 screen.
(i got 3 dell 24" but they already get component input, so the mayflash is not needed ... and the screen is far too big for mobile use).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot!!
I finally seem to get it!
I went to a local video store (not very professional) and the guy couldn't help me find that kind of cable. Does anyone can give me a link or something, I couldn't even find it googeling it. (maybe used wrong names or something like that)

Thx, (again)
Piet
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #39
Inner Circle

http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/shop/...rce=cwbfroogle
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet Deyaert View Post
It's getting real confused in here :)

I borrow the FX1 for my short films, so I've never seen that cable. And the component output is s-video. So I need a cable that starts in s-video and on the end the three colors RCA jacks. Ok, where can I buy this cable?

Thanks! Sry for all the questions :)
I thought I might chime in here. Piet, if you are speaking of the cable coming from your new monitor, I believe it is the same as a Keyboard or mouse cable. I cannot remember which one (I am speaking of the plug). Anyway, if you can solder. You can take one of these from a Keyboard (or mouse), and cut it into, (after you have made sure it will plug in). Then you can solder your video, audio, and power connectors to your camera and battery. Only problem here, is you will have to use a multi-meter to test for which one is power wire and ground. Once you find that, the rest you can experiment, but you must have power and ground right first!

Second Option. Go to LCD4video.com , they have the cord that plugs into this type of fitting and sell if seperately very cheap. I bought one of their 7" screens for my XL2 and it came with this cord. The plug fit perfectly, and the power, video, audio are clearly marked. The other ends of each wire had the wrong fittings on them. They were female instead of male so I cut them off and soldered the fittings on them I wanted. But, they were labeled. As for a battery, I bought mine from batteryspace.com, part number is PL-0550100-3SWR $46.95 and it is prewired with undercharge or overcharge protection. It is a 2500MAH. This is a Polymer Li-ion battery, so it is very light and small. It easily velcros to the camera and it lasts over 2.5 hours straight run time on a shoot. The charger is model CH-LI11148-3. It is 26.95. Shipping and all to me was 81.62 dollars and I am thrilled with the battery. I soldered the same type of connector as the power cord from the monitor has, on the charger. This way I just plug the charger right into the battery, when the light is green, I unplug it and plug it back into my monitor, velcro it, and away I go. I hope this helps. J

Last edited by John L. Miller; April 8th, 2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: fix typo error
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #41
Regular Crew

My problem was that I always tought that s-video was component out, therefore I searched for such a cable! I noticed my small camcorder had s-video and so did the FX1. But everything has gotten clear now :)

thx everybody
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #42
Regular Crew

do the xenarc screen works with the mayflash at 1080i?

thanks
Alberto Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #43
Inner Circle

basically, since the mayflash is not a scaler, it should work only with screen that can display 1920x1080 (natively or not).
You could have some success with some screen that are at least 1600x900, but these are generally "big" screens. i think there is no hope under 19" size.

for small screen, you could look at the IKAN, it is not so expensive.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:21 AM   #44
Major Player

I finally got the xenarc 700Y from cartft.com (well actually it isn't a xenarc, it's the same monitor by another distributor than xenarc - xenarc doesn't make the screens themselves), and in combination with my canon XH-A1 and mayflash, it works! It even says 1920x1080 when I plug it in, so there's no problems there.

Now I need to find a battery solution that fits my needs...

Steven
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Steven,

Do you feel that that setup is good enough to critical focus? Could you also be so kind as to post an image of the screen, mayflash and camera next to each other. I have an A1 and am considering this same set-up and am wondering how I'm going to mount all of this plus battery solutions. Thanks.
Cory Sheldon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software