Think I found a great cheap 800x480 7" tft pal/ntsc deal: mm400 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Patel View Post
I found this DVD palyer in BestBuy for only $ 99.99.

Insignia™ 8" 16:9 Widescreen LCD Screen Portable DVD Player
Model: NS-8PDVD
Take this portable DVD player on a trip with you to inject some fun into the voyage. The 2 headphone jacks allow more than 1 person to listen simultaneously.
8" widescreen LCD display with high-resolution and high brightness

16:9 aspect ratiow
Specialized DVD controls include previous, next, up, down, left, right, menu, wide and play/pause
1-2/5" thin for maximum portability
Adjustable volume and brightness controls for a customized viewing experience

2 built-in stereo speakers
Inputs: composite A/V
Outputs: 2 headphone, composite A/V
NiMH rechargeable battery (included) for up to 3 hours of playback time
A/V cable, car power adapter, AC/DC adapter and remote included

I am thinking to buy this for my DOF project to use for image flipping. Any one has experience with this LCD player. Can I use to INPUT composit A/V?

Question is how to mount on Tripod?

Thanks

Jay
Problem with these car dvd players or portable dvd players, even the 'high resolution' ones is that the resolution often is NOT high and there are actually only 200-something vertical lines. Keep this in mind because even when you do have a high resolution screen (like 800x480) you'll still have to pay close attention to do really proper focus pulling, it's not very hard but it's not super-easy either. So a portable DVD player really isn't a safe bet.

BTW guys I've been testing the mm400 for a small week now and it's been great thus far. Colors are good, not entirely accurate but that was to be expected, sharpness is quite excellent although maybe I expected it to be just a tiny bit easier for focussing still, but it gets the job done. Only remark I can give is that the screen has a very strange but very subtle texture over it when turned on, first I thought it was my adapter's focussing screen that wasn't vibrating but then I noticed tha it's the screen itself. It's not at all a problem though because it's really subtle, it's only a bit weird and can be alerting if you work with an adapter.

I'd definitely recommend it.

And for your battery needs, well I don't know but I think I'm gonna try this: http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=2360

Has cigarette lighter sockets, seems very handy! What do you guys think of it?
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I recently bought this lcd screen, really happy with it!
Still waiting for my Mayflash, so I'm now using the RCA inputs (the mm400 has 2 of them, it even has built-in speakers!) and for focusing with my single chip Sony it works fine! (off course this isn't HDV).

I'm using two 6v batteries which I found, normally I can use the MM400 about 6 hours with these. And I have 5 pairs of them!

Very happy with it, glad I didn't go for the Xenarc!
Piet Deyaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Piet, I hope it works for you, I sent it back because it didn't work with the mayflash. Let us know if yours does work.

Steven
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese Leysen View Post
And for your battery needs, well I don't know but I think I'm gonna try this: http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=2360

Has cigarette lighter sockets, seems very handy! What do you guys think of it?
Is the lamp detachable? :)
Anyway it looks pretty big, but I don't know what you want to do with it (where you mount it). Do you know the weight and dimensions?
Take into account that you need a converter for the 110v power inlet.
Also, the 12V is coming out of cigarette lighter ports, so you also need something to plug your monitor in.
It's pretty cheap for 7Ah though!

Steven
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Has anyone else use the mm400 with the mayflash?
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Fokkinga View Post
Is the lamp detachable? :)
Anyway it looks pretty big, but I don't know what you want to do with it (where you mount it). Do you know the weight and dimensions?
Take into account that you need a converter for the 110v power inlet.
Also, the 12V is coming out of cigarette lighter ports, so you also need something to plug your monitor in.
It's pretty cheap for 7Ah though!

Steven
Our cameraman would just carry this in his backpack.

I have a cigarette lighter adapter for my screen, so that should work, right?

And I may have found a European version of the power tank for 220v power inlets.
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese Leysen View Post
And I may have found a European version of the power tank for 220v power inlets.
Do you have a link?
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Patel View Post
I found this DVD palyer in BestBuy for only $ 99.99.

Insignia™ 8" 16:9 Widescreen LCD Screen Portable DVD Player
Model: NS-8PDVD
Take this portable DVD player on a trip with you to inject some fun into the voyage. The 2 headphone jacks allow more than 1 person to listen simultaneously.
8" widescreen LCD display with high-resolution and high brightness

16:9 aspect ratiow
Specialized DVD controls include previous, next, up, down, left, right, menu, wide and play/pause
1-2/5" thin for maximum portability
Adjustable volume and brightness controls for a customized viewing experience

2 built-in stereo speakers
Inputs: composite A/V
Outputs: 2 headphone, composite A/V
NiMH rechargeable battery (included) for up to 3 hours of playback time
A/V cable, car power adapter, AC/DC adapter and remote included

I am thinking to buy this for my DOF project to use for image flipping. Any one has experience with this LCD player. Can I use to INPUT composit A/V?

Question is how to mount on Tripod?

Thanks

Jay
Mounting that sort of stuff always takes some DIY experimenting with making your own fittings etc...

BUT I must stress that I would definitely NOT trust this dvd player. It says 'high resolution' but I'm afraid it will be something along the lines of 800x243, which is not enough for proper focusing, it's just not sharp and detailed enough to know for sure whether your image is in focus.

Let me put it this way: I have the MM400 screen which is 800x480 and it allows me to do decent focus pulling. However, even with this resolution it does demand close attention, it works great and I'd recommend the screen to anyone who's looking for an SD focusing/image flipping* solution but it still doesn't make sharp focus super-easy.

(*if you don't mind flipping the image by mounting the screen upside down, it's what I do and I'm experiencing no downsides from this thus far)

Oh and Steven: I used to have a link to a store in Belgium that sells the European version but it doesn't work anymore after the site redesign, a quick search through their new catalogue didn't turn up anything either. The site is http://www.grootven.be (it's in dutch).
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #24
Major Player

You mean this one?
http://www.grootven.be/productdetails.asp?PID=1536

Bit heavy and expensive for my taste, though
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:52 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Does anybody know how to connect a camcorder through VGA to the MM400? Cause people say it causes problems with the mayflash!
I recently bought the MM400 but haven't ordered the mayflash yet. I don't understand why it doesn't work, it works the same way as the Xenarc?

Need advice!

Thx,

Piet
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Can anyone tell me where I could buy an s-video to component cable??
(I live in Belgium)

Thx,

Piet
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #27
Major Player

I don't think these exist, but why would you want one, if I may ask? S-video and component live in different colorspaces and different formats, so it's not as simple as just different connectors.
About your other question, as far as I know, I was the only one who tried the mayflash and the mm400, in combination with the component output of the canon XH-A1. It did not work (syncing problems I guess), so I sent the monitor back. Now I'm going to try a xenarc.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #28
Regular Crew

But with which cable do you connect your camcorder to the mayflash?
Don't you connect your camcorder trough s-video and then to component in the mayflash?
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #29
Major Player

Hi Piet,

If you would use the s-video output of your camcorder you wouldn't even need the mayflash. What camcorder do you use?
I suggest you take a look at the following articles. I'm guessing you have some of the terms confused.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vga
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #30
Regular Crew

If I won't need the mayflash, but just buy a cable s-video - VGA. Will that work on a regular monitor? (like my CRT or my mm400)
Piet Deyaert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software