2.35 field monitor? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 28th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #16

Hi Shawn,

What exactly are you trying to do? Please clarify. Is this for an installation or for a portable field montoring solution?

What size monitor do you need? Can it be an LCD panel?

TransVideo has some excellent 2.35 capable monitors:
http://www.transvideointl.com/pages/...monitorIII.htm

Is it just for SD (Standard Definiton) DV or is it for 720P or 1080i?

If it is an install, would a high quality video projector do?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #17
Major Player

A possible electronic solution...

Shawn,

Look at the following link...I think it may be a relatively easy avenue for you. I recommend getting the highest resolution monitor you can afford, then use the pillar cropping tool in this box to letterbox to whatever aspect ratio you want to use.

http://www.gthelectronics.com/zoom.htm

The manufacter's name is Gordon. He's really prompt with email responses.

Good luck!

Brandt
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #18
Wrangler

Shawn, I figured it was too obscure to go into detail over it when I mentioned it early in the thread, but I'll elaborate on what was done with my monitor if it helps.

A switch was added on the back panel (along with an internal circuit) that decreases the height of the image by altering the voltage, I believe. It's the same thing that happens with the 16:9 mode button on the front panel. The combination of both controls results ina 2:35 frame.

The modification cost around $150, and while it pretty much voided the warranty on the monitor, it does not cause any damage or have any negative effects on the picture quality (this is a Sony 8045Q). It is a standard modification to video assist monitors here in Hollywood to allow for anamorphic images to be viewed unsqueezed.

If you are interested I can direct you to the shop that did the work. There are various places that do this mod, but it is important to have someone who is familiar with the process since you could ultimately damage your expensive monitor if they didn't know what they were doing.
Old April 29th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Charles, that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! If you could direct me to the shop (and the aforementioned person familiar with the process) I would greatly appreciate it! I imagine I could ship a monitor out there to have it done, or maybe just buy and convert one when I visit LA in July.

-Shawn
Old April 30th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #20
Wrangler

Shawn:

Sorry it took a bit to get back to you, had to dig up my receipt.

The company is Videorama Industries, 931 Cole Ave. in Hollywood, 90038. Phone is 323-466-7232. Speak to Howard, feel free to mention my name.

The Anamorphic switch with labor cost $175 to have installed. The functionality is that you push the front button 16:9 switch, then throw the anamorphic switch to achieve 2:35. If you prefer, they can modify the front panel switch to take you straight to 2:35 which is cheaper, but you lose the 16:9 capability.

Good luck, let me know if it works out OK!
Old July 1st, 2003, 02:33 PM   #21
NEBTEK

Hi Shawn,
I believe that Transvideo makes an inline Anamorphic squeezer to accurately condense anamorphic to a 16:9 format. The only problem is it costs more than most of the 16:9 LCD's out there.
Old July 1st, 2003, 03:12 PM   #22
Trustee

One thing I'm not understanding though. Unless you're talking about projecting this on the big screen, why not just crop the 16x9 image to 2.35:1 in post? DVD at that aspect ratio is going to be letterboxed anyway.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2003, 05:36 PM   #23
NEBTEK

I think what he's looking for is a 16:9 onboard camera monitor with the capability of viewing unsqueezed anamorphic. if that is the case, then the Transvideo in-line anamorphic converter would supply such a signal to most widescreen tft/lcd on board camera monitors. It would be a little bulky and pricey, but it might solve the problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software